D&D 5E D&D and who it's aimed at

Retreater

Legend
It's OK to judge a book by its cover, of course. Nobody would dispute that. I would argue that it's not in our own interests to do so, especially if the book is a major release for one's primary hobby, but people can do what they want.
That's a very interesting point. Gaming is my primary hobby, but I haven't considered that I should buy every big release Wizards makes because of that.
I tend to buy game books for one (or more) of these reasons:
1. I want to run it.
2. I can glean inspiration from it.
3. I like the art, design, etc.
4. I want to support the writer or developer of the content.
When a product doesn't connect in any of these factors, I usually don't purchase it.
And how many times have we heard criticism on here that we can't review an adventure until we've run it at the table? Are we required also to run something before we have an opinion?

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
And how many times have we heard criticism on here that we can't review an adventure until we've run it at the table? Are we required also to run something before we have an opinion?

In the age of the Internet, buying it is unnecessary. There are usually plenty of user reviews available on various sites and formats. So forming an informed opinion of an adventure before buying it, is quite feasible.

But publishers want you to buy their content, as that's how they make a living - so it's no surprise that this site leans in that direction.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
In the age of the Internet, buying it is unnecessary. There are usually plenty of user reviews available on various sites and formats. So forming an informed opinion of an adventure before buying it, is quite feasible.

But publishers want you to buy their content, as that's how they make a living - so it's no surprise that this site leans in that direction.
You just need to be careful to ensure that the reviews you're reading are by people who have actually read the material, and that you understand the reviewer's biases.
That applies to a lot more than game books, too.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's a very interesting point. Gaming is my primary hobby, but I haven't considered that I should buy every big release Wizards makes because of that.
I tend to buy game books for one (or more) of these reasons:
1. I want to run it.
2. I can glean inspiration from it.
3. I like the art, design, etc.
4. I want to support the writer or developer of the content.
When a product doesn't connect in any of these factors, I usually don't purchase it.
I don't think @Morrus was arguing that you should buy the book just because it's a major release. My take on his post was that you probably shouldn't discount a book just because of it's cover. Look deeper and decide based on what the product is whether you want to purchase it or not. :)

I own several D&D books that have cover art(and some with internal art) that I don't care for. The product itself was good enough for me to overlook something that has next to nothing to do with using the content in my games.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I don't think @Morrus was arguing that you should buy the book just because it's a major release. My take on his post was that you probably shouldn't discount a book just because of it's cover. Look deeper and decide based on what the product is whether you want to purchase it or not. :)

I own several D&D books that have cover art(and some with internal art) that I don't care for. The product itself was good enough for me to overlook something that has next to nothing to do with using the content in my games.

I draw the line at doe eyed hamsters. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases