D&D 5E D&D and who it's aimed at

Official support is necessary for all the things each poster personally values, because otherwise they aren't part of the game, and totally unnecessary for everything each poster does not value, since no one ever needed official support to DM.
Thank you for clearing this up!

I will accept my "unofficial" status and skulk away into the darkness with the mongrelmen.

When I need mature gaming content to cater to my well aged, sophisticated taste; I turn to ENi5der. Every week there a new piece of refined gaming material mailed right to my inbox! It's the perfect TTRPG reading to enjoy with a fine wine.

Retreater

Legend
Why does being grumpy about new products mean that we're old or we've "aged out" of D&D?
I think there's an adorableness to more recent releases that I don't like. But I also disliked Rime of the Frost Maiden, which had only like three adorable components
(the frost spirits, the whale, and the baby squid monsters)
At this point I don't even think I could describe what I would want in a 5e product.
Maybe a suitably generic collection of 30ish page adventures (akin to Tales of the Yawning Portal). Or a solid campaign against traditional opponents (akin to Red Hand of Doom).
To me, most of the more recent stuff seems like nonsense.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Why does being grumpy about new products mean that we're old or we've "aged out" of D&D?
Frankly, I have no idea. It's a position I've seen quite a bit--see @Scribe 's post immediately above mine--but I don't really grok how "this is not for me/contains too much lighter and softer content" transmogrifies into "this is made for children, and I, a Very Sophisticated Adult, am therefore being ignored by D&D."

Scribe

Legend
Frankly, I have no idea. It's a position I've seen quite a bit--see @Scribe 's post immediately above mine--but I don't really grok how "this is not for me/contains too much lighter and softer content" transmogrifies into "this is made for children, and I, a Very Sophisticated Adult, am therefore being ignored by D&D."
I make no claim at sophistication, in fact if we wanted to boil it down, I probably want what would be perceived as less sophisticated by today's standards. :D

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
As I think about it, I don't know that I've ever exactly been 100% whom D&D was being marketed toward. I might be slightly less the target now, but I don't know how much of that is that the range has changed and how much of that is that I have changed. While I'd obviously prefer if they were releasing more material on the lines of what I want, I don't have any severe complaints. Mostly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases