D&D General D&D Annual 2021

Huh...

Found this about it:

"Dungeons & Dragons has never been more popular, and this official annual brings together everything that makes the series great. Featuring heroes of legend, the most challenging monsters and handy tips on how to start or continue your adventure, this book is sure to be a (critical) hit with fans of all ages.

The annual charts all the major developments over the last 12 months in the world of Dungeons & Dragons. There are interviews with major live-streamers and podcasters from around the world; guides to creating your own characters or taking the next step by become a dungeon master and explorations of the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft and the adventures you can undertake within them."

Egmont Books appears to be a publishing house focused on children's and YA literature.

Source: Dungeons & Dragons Annual 2021 - Egmont Books

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I’d not heard of this before.

It was previewed in the last Dragon+ release.

Back in Dragon+ #31 we gave a huge shout-out to some of the British streamers busy bigging up D&D. Just when you thought our coverage couldn’t get any more Anglophile, it turns out that a quintessential part of UK culture has embraced Dungeons & Dragons: the annual.

“An annual is a yearly, hardcover book that provides a retrospective of a subject over the previous twelve months or introduces that subject to new people. Typical examples might include games such as Minecraft, fandoms such as Star Wars, or sports teams such as Premier League football clubs,” explains Craig Jelley, Editor of the Dungeons & Dragons Annual 2021 at publisher Egmont.

“An annual is usually available in the fourth quarter of the year and is often bought as a holiday gift. As well as being sold in high street bookstores and online as you’d expect, annuals also pop up in UK supermarkets and other more general shops. And while they’re often targeted at children, the Dungeons & Dragons Annual will be suitable for fans of all ages.”

“There has been a little confusion as an annual can mean something completely different in the comics world. Some YouTubers and influencers in America and Australia have asked, ‘Is it a D&D comic?’ It isn’t!” says Writer Susie Rae, adding that she hopes the hardback book will help draw in new D&D players.

“We have made our text very straightforward and accessible, which is in keeping with the achievements of the D&D Team with fifth edition in general. Readers can come to this as complete novices and quickly understand what’s going on and enjoy themselves, without needing to understand decades’ worth of lore.

“Our aim is to reassure those who might look at the numbers on a character sheet and see a large rulebook that D&D is not intimidating. It’s actually very straightforward either to play or to become a Dungeon Master, and it’s really fun once you give it a try.”

FULLY LOADED

The Dungeons & Dragons Annual 2021 will cover four core areas: World and Lore; Gameplay; Community; and Activities. That includes epic monsters, heroes, and villains, popular locations, a look at character creation, Dungeon Master tips, and advice on world-building. Even with 96 pages to play with, there’s an awful lot to cram inside its covers.

“We’ve hopefully picked out everything you need to know to play D&D. That includes more obvious elements such as how to roll up a character and an explanation of the different races, as well as page spreads looking at different worlds such as Faerûn, Eberron, and Ravenloft. Those worlds are so interesting because they’re all very distinctive, with their own lore and background. They might even contain races people may not have realized are specific to those worlds.”

DnD-Annual-spread-3.jpg
(Select to view)
Meanwhile, the “Activities” element includes puzzles, which are a staple of the British annual format. Rae has personally written those tricky brainteasers to test readers’ Wisdom and Intelligence.

“There have to be loads of activities and puzzles because that’s something which exists in every British annual. But I love writing puzzles and if it was up to me this whole annual would be puzzle pages!” she says with a laugh, adding that her favorite element is the short story that runs through the annual in three parts.

DnD-Annual-spread-2.jpg
(Select to view)
“We’ve included the text of a party playing their first game, which cuts between the players at the table and the game itself. This includes all of the tropes that might happen at a first game. There might be one person not taking it too seriously having shown up and been handed a character by the DM that they’ve called Steve the dwarf. Then there might be another taking it very seriously, having written an eighty-page backstory for their character.

DnD-Annual-spread-1.jpg
(Select to view)
“I’ve been playing D&D for about five years and also been a DM for one year and quite a few of my friends are either DMs or players, so that was easy to write. I hope one of my colleagues doesn’t mind that I’ve used his character name, Orcimus Maximus, which I thought was hilarious.”

Dragon+ knows there’s no better homage than appearing in this British institution, as four of our magazine covers have been included with their text removed should a reader want to use them as posters. Here’s hoping the Dungeons & Dragons Annual becomes a perennial.

Dungeons & Dragons Annual 2021 is released October 29, 2020 with an MSRP of £9.99 ($12.75) and is available to preorder now.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Huh, postages is more than the book. So this is what all the European Kickstarter backers are kvetching about.

I'm tempted, but I'd need to see a full table of contents to see if there is anything of interest to me. The preview pages look more like one of the young-adult books that summarizes some monsters, classes, etc. Seems targeted to new players or collectors, of which I'm neither.

Remove ads