D&D General D&D Art across the editions

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Dude, neat idea! I'm actually surprised, but it looks like the 5E book has the most full page art??

Every chapter and section includes a piece. So between the PHB and hte DMG there is a lot of it to use. What i never noticed was the unnamed iconics they use. Even between scenes at least one character from what looks like a party is shared in almost 90% of them.

The group examining what look like magic items is the same as the group fighting in the dungeon, and those same characters appear in other pieces individually or as pairs. For example the dwarf in the caravan piece is the same as the one looking at magic items and fighting beasties.

dave2008

Legend
2e Monster Manual full spread art:
MM_2e_1.JPG
2e Monster Manual Monster art
(Beholder, Carrion Crawler, Demon-Balor, Devil-Pit Fiend, Dragon-Red, Giant-Storm, Lich, Medusa, & Minotaur):
MM_2e_Beholder.JPG

MM_2e_CarrionCrawler.JPG

MM_2e_Demon_Balor.JPG

MM_2e_Devil_PitFiend.JPG

MM_2e_Dragon_Red.JPG

MM_2e_Giant_Storm.JPG

MM_2e_Lich.JPG

MM_2e_Medusa.JPG

MM_2e_Minotaur.JPG

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1e Monster Manual full spread art:
MM_1e_1.JPG

MM_1e_2.JPG

MM_1e_3.JPG

MM_1e_4.JPG

MM_1e_5.JPG
1e Monster Manual Monster art
(Beholder, Carrion Crawler, Demon-Balor, Devil-Pit Fiend, Dragon-Red, Giant-Storm, Lich, Medusa, & Minotaur):
MM_1e_Beholder.JPG

MM_1e_CarrionCrawler.JPG

MM_1e_Demon_Balor.JPG

MM_1e_Devil_PitFiend.JPG

MM_1e_Dragon_Red.JPG

MM_1e_Giant_Storm.JPG

MM_1e_Lich.JPG

MM_1e_Medusa.JPG

MM_1e_Minotaur.JPG

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think I finally got the difference with 4e and 5e art from earlier stuff.

The later stuff is illustrating things you can actually be and do in the game. They are fighting a black dragon. Those are recognizable dnd monsters.

In the 2e art, while its fantasy, it’s not actually related to the game. The fat wizard with the tiny woman with a tail? What is that? The wizard polymorphing a unicorn? Into what? Some sort of lizard?

Later art seems to be actual illustrations rather than just sort of random pictures.

That's because the artists in more recent times have played D&D.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Funny enough, it’s not Elmore, but Caldwell who did my favorite dragon lance art (DL1)

Also, the interior spreads of the MM 1e are some of my favorite, from any book, from any edition. Why? Not just nostalgia because it caused my imagination to run, but because what it was. And that was what happens in game. Ambushed by kolbolds? Walking into a spiders den? Awestruck when you finally get the treasure? That was D&D to me. And still is

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Monster Manual Art, which currently is mostly covers, with links to the individual posts in the OP. On the suggestion of a poster (sorry I don't remember who) I am going to post images of various monsters iconic monsters that appear in each monster manual. Any suggestions? I am currently thinking:
Red Dragon
Balor
Pit Fiend
Beholder

What else?

dave2008

Legend
Funny enough, it’s not Elmore, but Caldwell who did my favorite dragon lance art (DL1)

Also, the interior spreads of the MM 1e are some of my favorite, from any book, from any edition. Why? Not just nostalgia because it caused my imagination to run, but because what it was. And that was what happens in game. Ambushed by kolbolds? Walking into a spiders den? Awestruck when you finally get the treasure? That was D&D to me. And still is
Those have been posted now!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I have added the Monster Manual Art, which currently is mostly covers, with links to the individual posts in the OP. On the suggestion of a poster (sorry I don't remember who) I am going to post images of various monsters iconic monsters that appear in each monster manual. Any suggestions? I am currently thinking:
Red Dragon
Balor
Pit Fiend
Beholder

What else?

Owlbear
Lich
Medusa
Minotaur
Carrion crawler
Giant
(Assuming you’ll skip the common humanoids)

dave2008

Legend

That is a good one, but my favorite DL work is probably this Easley piece:
DL_1.jpeg

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Elmore's Dragonlance art deserves more love.

Attachments

• 2011-MAR-Larry-Elmore-Dragons-of-Winter-Night-cover-art.jpg
    2011-MAR-Larry-Elmore-Dragons-of-Winter-Night-cover-art.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DRAGONLANCE-Dragons-of-Autumn-Twilight.jpg
    DRAGONLANCE-Dragons-of-Autumn-Twilight.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 238
  • tumblr_piidkuQghx1ro2bqto1_400.jpg
    tumblr_piidkuQghx1ro2bqto1_400.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 137c19a25a552fb3506813d9fbd66fa2.jpg
    137c19a25a552fb3506813d9fbd66fa2.jpg