D&D 5E D&D BEYOND- Can you just purchase "crunch" from a book?

JeffB

Legend
So the more I listen/watch interviews, check out the art, etc- the more I know this new CR setting is totally not my bag. I'm Wilderlands, not Wildemount.

Anyhoo- I DO like what I am hearing about these new magic systems (especially after Crawford's interview)- Does D&D Beyond carve that out so I could just purchase the crunchy magic systems/spells? Or will I have to purchase the whole book?

Oofta

Legend
There are several books I've bought piecemeal, just paying for monsters or new classes while I don't care about the story or new races.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are several books I've bought piecemeal, just paying for monsters or new classes while I don't care about the story or new races.
How is the price on that? Always seemed like a waste of money to me, vs just buying the whole thing and like...not caring that I could theoretically read through it.

Oofta

Legend
How is the price on that? Always seemed like a waste of money to me, vs just buying the whole thing and like...not caring that I could theoretically read through it.
It depends on what you want. For example, I've played in Eberron but never had that much of an interest in it as a setting. On the other hand, Alchemists might fit well into my home campaign or I want t play in someone else's game. I can purchase just that for $1.99. I like monsters so buy all of those for another so that's another $3.99. For under 6 bucks I got everything I need out of the book.

Could I theoretically read through the rest of the stuff? Sure. But I know I won't so why spend money on something I'll never use? On the off chance I have time to get back to running AL and everyone wants to do an Eberron campaign I can always change my mind and buy the rest. I'll pay a bit more, but far less than if I just bought every book that I only want for small pieces.

Fenris447

Explorer
Oofta covered it. But there's one part to add. If he were to turn around and buy the whole book after having bought pieces of it already, he would get a discount on the whole book. It's not a 100% discount of the money you've already spent, but it's more than nothing.

So if the whole book is $30 and he already bought the Artificer for $2, he'd find the whole book is now $29 for him.

Remove ads