D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users. While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which...

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A filter for "books I own" would be great for users, but then how would you find out that the perfect monster for your encounter could be yours for the low, low price of $1.99?
:) Simple, make a "suggestions" side bar.

But even amoung books I own, sometimes I just want to search the PHP. Just that one book. Or just the PHP, DMG, and Xanathar's--say I've want to search on downtime activities...

The search functionality gets yes and less useful the more content that is added, because their isn't a way to filter on a specific book or number of books.

I'm sorry. You don't think the rules on how player options and monster abilities interact is something that is a Player's business?
Obviously players need to know what the player options are, but that is going to depend on the setting, and something I would establish in session zero. So no change there.

But players knowing monsters stats?! That's something I would consider cheating, part of the fun of the game is the players figuring out what the monsters can do, and hence how to beet them (and I have been DMing since 1st edition).
some people may not want to play in a new way game and some may not want to play in an old way game...
I prefer to think players are in my game because they like the way I DM, not because they like the ruleset I use.

Last edited:

Obviously players need to know what the player options are, but that is going to depend on the setting, and something I would establish in session zero. So no change there.

While you'll certainly deal with it in session 0, it might be a topic that is easily forgotten. While I agree that the stat block of a creature is something that the characters aren't privy too, in general, I'll let characters know some informations based on a relevant lore check. "It's a dragon, beware it can fly (DC 5), throw acid because you know they are color coded for your convenience (DC 10) and the guy at his side is probably his dragon mate in human form using their little known shapechanging ability (DC 20) as the highly territorial dragon wouldn't let a human touching his hoard normally. But in this particular case, the change from spellcasting to un-counterspellable supernatural ability is wide and can affect a player choice and strategy and yet be forgotten to be discussed. If the player is convinced that counterspell works on any spell, and doesn't work against a dragon breath or a medusa gaze, he will be used to know how to act and might not think of asking in session 0 how does your world work in this regard. This is certainly a thing I never touched. And, in world, the character would certainly know the limitations of the counterspell spell. Wizards did design the spell in the world.

Li Shenron

Legend
incorrect is what ever the table decides. and if I can ever go back to playing in person and walk up to a table at a Con or Gaming store I will now need to ask more quastions about the edition... "what style of monsters" will be added to "do you use tasha's updates" and "do you use new sub races from teh gift set" then there will be a time when someone comes to one of MY tables at a store or con and not like the answers I give... edition war.
You are right but all these problems originate from the "official/sanctioned" culture. See how E.A. is freaking out about older rules being "useless" as if there weren't millions of people still playing older editions. Throw that toxic culture into the garbage and the problems disappear.

I've been to conventions and played whatever, I don't care because I don't take that home with me.

Oofta

Legend
:) Simple, make a "suggestions" side bar.

But even amoung books I own, sometimes I just want to search the PHP. Just that one book. Or just the PHP, DMG, and Xanathar's--say I've want to search on downtime activities...

The search functionality gets yes and less useful the more content that is added, because their isn't a way to filter on a specific book or number of books.
If searching for monsters or spells, that's in the advanced filters, the races can be limited to a specific book as well. General search though isn't great. Ideally when you went to a specific source you could do a search there, best you can do is look at the index and hope you bring up the right section. :(

Oofta

Legend
The filter is turn off and onable?

I wish! Especially when I'm just looking for inspiration or a generic monster that fits a theme. In theory I could go into the advanced filters and type in every book I own, but that would be a pain. You can't just paste them in either, they have to be typed in one at a time.

If they allowed an easy filter I would never know that there was an interesting giant called Borborygmos from the Ravnica book that might be just what I need at CR 18 for a boss giant fight coming up. But I could get all the monsters from the book for a mere $10.99. Oh well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It's fortunate that someone invented character sheets so they could write it down then isn't it?
Your players look at and are familiar with the content on their character sheets!? What golden unicorns have your found to share your table!

(Kidding, my regular group of players are good at knowing their abilities and such. Though I have snuck some easter eggs into their D&D Beyond characters that they haven't discovered yet, so I know they are not regularly digging into the less referenced sections. But they'll discover them in game. Oh, they'll learn all right. :devilish: )

Remove ads

Remove ads