D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

Why did they decide to change the stat blocks? I cant really recall anyone calling for a hard change. I'm definitely not excited about the spell slots being changed. It's good that DDB isnt getting rid of the original blocks.

The change is because it’s being made ready for the edition change in 2 years.
Also will you guys want to throw out your old core books when the new ones come in a bit.

Also will you guys want to throw out your old core books when the new ones come in a bit.

Probably. I did not keep any of the 3.0 books that were updated to 3.5. Besides, I am way behind anyway, with only the 2nd or 3rd printing of the PHB, and I already hate having to print out several pages of errata to shove into the book. Luckily, I do not have the 1st printing that has fallen apart for so many players. So getting fully updated will happen, especially as all the OGL settings and systems update to match the new books.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I guess I can't hypothesize about D&D Beyond, since I don't really understand how their system implements published material, but for Fantasy Grounds, the implementation seems obvious -- the 'reprints' of the two existing books will likely be implemented as separate data sources, so you can choose to activate the original, the 'reprint', or both. Activating both will make both monsters available, just as currently occurs with spells or other items reprinted in later books, only in this case I'd expect that the older version of the monster won't be edited to conform to the 'reprint' version, allowing you to choose the one you want to use.

I also suspect this will cause some confusion in Adventurers League, since the rule before now has always been that the most recent version of a race/class/what-have-you is the version that's AL-legal. I could see an argument for simply declaring the older stuff no longer AL-legal, since the point of the Organized Play campaign is precisely to foster the kind of inclusive gaming that the changes to the monsters and races is intended to promote, and allowing multiple options for the same races could get confusing very quickly. But I guess we'll see.

--
Pauper

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
$5. There will be no edition change in 2 years. Just some new core books with, at most, some revisions of player options, and other very minor cleanups and compiling of what is most popular and satisfying in 5e.

Now, if you consider that a new edition, and we are talking less of a difference than Essentials vs phb 4e, then a bet makes no sense, but I’d define an edition change as requiring actual rules incompatibility. New takes on the races and classes doesn’t cut it.

Want to bet? If I'm right you give me a thumbs up on the post you quoted, if you're right I'll do the same for yours.

Fake internet points are worth far more than cash and we don't have to worry about exchange rates or inflation! :)
Sounds fair lol. Yeah I'll be interested to see the result either way. I mean, I certainly hope they do better than just duplicating them all, but given previous evidence, I'll be surprised.

Most likely just to screw with us they'll do something like duplicate the monsters but put in a toggle for the races.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases