D&D 5E D&D Beyond No Longer Supporting Unearthed Arcana

Announced on their livestream Dev Update, D&D Beyond will be refocusing development on new features and content, citing an inability to keep up with Unearned Arcana in a timely fashion. We at D&D Beyond regret to inform you that we will no longer be supporting Unearthed Arcana content on our platform. While we have loved giving users the opportunity to use new Unearthed Arcana playtest...

Announced on their livestream Dev Update, D&D Beyond will be refocusing development on new features and content, citing an inability to keep up with Unearned Arcana in a timely fashion.

We at D&D Beyond regret to inform you that we will no longer be supporting Unearthed Arcana content on our platform.

While we have loved giving users the opportunity to use new Unearthed Arcana playtest material offered by Wizards of the Coast on D&D Beyond, there are a multitude of factors that have made it difficult for us to do so in a way that presents the content the way it was intended, and in a timely way that does not divert our development resources.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Okay, so Fantasy Grounds was first released 17 years ago, right? So their product was "on the market" for 13 years by the time D&D Beyond was released? And we're surprised that a company that has been around for three times as long seemingly runs a tighter ship?
And in all that time (and to this day) Fantasy Grounds supported a wider range of games (and thus game mechanics) than just D&D/d20 type games. I think their framework can handle more "curveball" changes to the rules more easily because they have coded all manner of different mechanics into it in one module or the other.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No they are not. As discussed below, at least one other software development team faced with exactly the same requirements is succeeding at doing what DDB has failed at and is giving up on.
Tbh I wouldn’t use FG for free, much less pay for it. What I hear from others who do use it is that it “covers” more but doesn’t actually do much with most of what it covers, but since I have no interest in a VTT and haven’t ever enjoyed any attempt I’ve made to get into FG, I wouldn’t know. 🤷‍♂️

@LordEntrails i didn’t know that. Cool for them.
Did they get the Strixhaven UA?
I don't know why they wouldn't. They have all UA articles from January 2018 and on (WotC revoked publishing rights for everything before that date, impacted DMsG stuff too). I'm sure I would have heard complaints on the forums if they didn't have it. The details would be included in one of the release notes but would be buried in with all the other updates.
Okay, so Fantasy Grounds was first released 17 years ago, right? So their product was "on the market" for 13 years by the time D&D Beyond was released? And we're surprised that a company that has been around for three times as long seemingly runs a tighter ship?
Nope, I'm not surprised, for that reason and others. Its one of the reasons I chose FG as my digital platform of choice when I decided to get into 5E. I just always find it interesting how many people forgot their are other digital options for D&D than DDB. (FG, DDB, Roll20, d20 Pro? has a little)
Tbh I wouldn’t use FG for free, much less pay for it. What I hear from others who do use it is that it “covers” more but doesn’t actually do much with most of what it covers, but since I have no interest in a VTT and haven’t ever enjoyed any attempt I’ve made to get into FG, I wouldn’t know. 🤷‍♂️
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And not every application is the best chose for every user either. I will say from my experience and comments of many others, what you hear from others seems inaccurate. Of course it depends upon what one is looking for, but FG has far more automation than any other VTT I'm aware of. Its part of why people complain about it, because it has so much power it can be complex to learn. Hence why the community has put together so many tutorials and free classes to help people get up to speed quickly.

Xotli

Explorer
Speaking as a professional software developer for the past 34 years—including running my own software development business for 12 of those years—and also speaking as someone who's been playing D&D for even longer than that, and also speaking as someone who's tried to create my own versions of character builders throughout the years, I would agree with most of what @Ruin Explorer has said in the thread. I would say they're dead wrong in describing it as: "It's a database with a front-end. That's all it is." ... 'cause, let me assure you, it is not merely that. People have been trying to make character builders for literally decades now, and no one's ever really succeeded. That's not a fluke or a coincidence. Doing it is hard, and doing it in a way that allows for homebrew is even harder, and ignoring homebrew makes it unappealing to too big a chunk of the (formerly quite narrow) vertical market. But it is certainly possible. If I had the resources of D&D Beyond, I could have done it myself a few times over by now. It is not easy to implement, but the initial design choices really do make a huge difference, as someone pointed out. And, while @Umbran is correct that's it's not possible to create "generally expandable" software, you can certainly create software that would handle 90+% of homebrew, and WotC ain't doing nothing in UA that most of us here haven't tried in a homebrew context at one time or other. The Strixhaven example is certainly an extreme one, but, given a sufficiently open-ended design, it wouldn't have been as hard to add those things as it apparently was for DDB. And, as some in the thread have also pointed out, "cheating" (by making each subclass a set of subclasses, one for each class it was allowed for, which I'm sure would have been perfectly satisfactory for the majority of users) would have made it even easier.

But, hey: we don't need to have 6 pages of argument about whether it's possible or not. @HawaiiSteveO provided the answer to that question right on page 1: Shard. Shard has issues, sure, and maybe it couldn't have handled the Strixhaven stuff (I'm not 100% sure on that one), but it defintely handles a lot more homebrew possibilities than DDB, and it was built to be scalable from the ground up, and they did it with significantly fewer resources than DDB and also without official support from WotC. Whether it's possible or not is not a hypothetical. It's a thing that exists in the world already. If the guys who built Shard had been the ones who started D&D Beyond, we'd all be a lot happier right now, and this thread would definitely not exist.

(To be fair, the guys at Shard have a lot of hindsight to go on, and they were able to learn from DDB's mistakes. But AFAIC
they definitely settle the question of whether or not it's possible, and that seems to be what the thread has mostly devolved into.)

Side note: At one point @Oofta said: "If you're creating classes from scratch you are a tiny market niche for a niche application." I don't think that's true, first of all, but I also don't think that it's 100% relevant. Any class that wasn't created by WotC is technically a homebrew class, and, other than a privileged few (e.g. blood hunter), even classes from major sources have to be entered as "homebrew." Suppose I want to play a feywalker from EN World's Masterclass Codex (which I am in fact doing in one of my games). Suppose I want to play an illrigger from MCDM. These are very high-selling products, but a character creator that doesn't allow homebrew classes can't handle them. That seems problematic if DDB wants to "win" the market in the long run.

EDIT: FIxed typo, added links.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
And in all that time (and to this day) Fantasy Grounds supported a wider range of games (and thus game mechanics) than just D&D/d20 type games. I think their framework can handle more "curveball" changes to the rules more easily because they have coded all manner of different mechanics into it in one module or the other.

As per Fantasy Grounds’ own website, the application started off supporting only basic d20 functionality, and it seems like it stayed that way for the most part until Doug Davison purchased them five years later. A key factor to highlight here is that Davison went in with the intent to expand the application to be able to support all manner of RPGs and not just D&D, and being a programmer himself, he drove the refactor and designed the new underlying architecture that allowed the platform to support RPGs more broadly.

Consider that Fantasy Grounds didn’t actually fully support 3.5E until six years after that revised edition came out. My point is not to dig at Fantasy Grounds, but rather an observation to show how silly it is to compare what Fantasy Grounds is and does now, well over a decade into its life, to what D&D Beyond is doing now, especially considering the stark difference in what Curse has apparently wanted Beyond to be in contrast to what Davison wanted Fantasy Grounds to be.

As far as Fantasy Grounds being able to have features ready much more quickly, a lot of that is due to the relationship between Wizards and Smiteworks. They undoubtedly get a huge heads up on what’s coming, while the D&D Beyond team finds out what they may need to support the same day the rest of us do.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
If I had the resources of D&D Beyond, I could have done it myself a few times over by now.
If the D&D Beyond team had the resources at the beginning that they do now, and — just as importantly — the support of the people with the money, I'm sure they could have done a much better job. I think it's a tad too easy for a lot of us to talk about how we could have done a much better job than they did given their much better financial situation now as well as the benefit of hindsight. You mention that you tried to create your own character builder more than once and acknowledge the difficulty that lies in such a project — imagine that's what you're trying to do with a team of 2-3 developers and no real financial backing in the hopes of getting something out the door that people would be willing to actually pay money for with the ability to scale as an open, web-based application would need to. Like you said, not even remotely easy to accomplish. Possible, yes? But with a lot of support and on the backs of people who have already made mistakes. :)
It is not easy to implement, but the initial design choices really do make a huge difference, as someone pointed out.
Absolutely. In an ideal development lifecycle, most of the engineering effort should be in the design and architecture phase. The implementation should be fairly straightforward because you've already done all the heavy lifting... and, of course, we all know that we can see into the future and anticipate every single possible problem and never release bugs because our code is always perfect ;).

By all accounts, the development lifecycle of that first iteration of D&D Beyond was far from ideal, and they haven't really ever gone in and done any significant refactoring (although they seem to be on the cusp of releasing major changes to at least one aspect of their platform) that might warrant a new major version... they've essentially been building on top of the original foundation as best they could, because the people who gave them lots of money had a very specific vision for what they wanted the platform to be.
you can certainly create software that would handle 90+% of homebrew, and WotC ain't doing nothing in UA that most of us here haven't tried in a homebrew context at one time or other.
You can, if that was something that was even on your roadmap to think about in your architecture, and despite what some people seem to think, homebrew classes are not things that the majority of the player base these days really use. Most 5E players have never played another version of D&D before. The market exploded a few years ago, thanks to things like Critical Role and Stranger Things, and many players don't see much beyond just the core rulebooks — a huge swath of the market is casual players who aren't buying up every single new book but rather just playing for free in some local game store or at the library with their classmates. Homebrew in general isn't necessarily a niche market, but most players have never heard of Matt Colville or his Illrigger (which first saw light of day only a couple of years ago, long after D&D Beyond came out) or the Pugilist on DM's Guild, arguably the single most popular homebrew class that wasn't done by someone with the first name Matt.

As I mentioned in an earlier comment in this thread, I've actually had in-person conversations with some of the development team in the past who indicated that homebrew classes were simply not a priority for the business because there wasn't actually demand from that many users for it. I'm sure demand has increased for such a feature since the team more recently mentioned that they potentially have that on their roadmap, but it's far future stuff because it's not something nearly as desirable as something like a VTT... and you can be sure that Curse as a business is going to push the team to make the things that the majority of their user base actually want.
And, as some in the thread have also pointed out, "cheating" (by making each subclass a set of subclasses, one for each class it was allowed for, which I'm sure would have been perfectly satisfactory for the majority of users) would have made it even easier.
Sure, but that's still time that the development team would have to put into doing it, when they couldn't even be reasonably sure that Wizards would actually follow through with it and when Curse obviously has much bigger things they want the team to be working on. As someone who has been in the industry for as long as you have, you should know just as I do that the engineers are rarely the people making these kinds of decisions. There are a lot of things about the platform that my team and I work on that I would love to refactor, optimize, enhance, or otherwise improve, but there's no way my company lets us invest the necessary time to do everything when there are tons of features that paying customers actually want us to do.
To be fair, the guys at Shard have a lot of hindsight to go on, and they were able to learn from DDB's mistakes.
This, 1000%.
Any class that wasn't created by WotC is technically a homebrew class, and, other than a privileged few (e.g. blood hunter)
You mean privileged one. LOL

There have been a few unofficial subclasses introduced into D&D Beyond although the only ones that stuck around were ones by, you guessed it, Matt Mercer.

They had the Runeterra stuff up for a little while, but that was taken down a long time ago.
Suppose I want to play a feywalker from EN World's Masterclass Codex (which I am in fact doing in one of my games). Suppose I want to play an illrigger from MCDM. These are very high-selling products, but a character creator that doesn't allow homebrew classes can't handle them. That seems problematic if DDB wants to "win" the market in the long run.
Again, not really, since the majority of players don't use homebrew classes in the first place. While I don't deny that products like those you've mentioned make decent coin, the numbers of people who are actually buying these things up is a miniscule fraction of the total 5E player base. If Wizards is to be believed, there are over 50 million 5E players right now. The Pugilist class, arguably the most popular class on sale on DM's Guild and objectively one of the most highly regarded homebrew classes created for this edition, is an Adamantine seller, which means that 5,001+ units have been sold. Of course, we don't know what that number is, but I highly doubt it's anywhere even remotely close to even just one million. Heck, I'd be surprised if it's even 100,000.

As far as whether not having this feature will prevent them from "winning" the market in the long run, what I can say with a lot of confidence is that Curse is going to prioritize features that users have actually indicated that they wanted since they want to, you know, make money. If everyone and their mother wanted a homebrew class feature for the platform, they would be prioritizing that. They aren't.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
Consider that Fantasy Grounds didn’t actually fully support 3.5E until six years after that revised edition came out.
I want to correct myself here. They didn't fully support the 3.5E SRD until six years after the revised books were published. Not the full, paid set of rules but "just" the portion of it that was open. Granted, 3.5E is a substantially more complex ruleset than 5E ever could be.

Remove ads

Remove ads