D&D 5E D&D Beyond Will Delist Two Books On May 17th

D&D Beyond will be permanently removing Volo’s Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on May 17th in favor of the upcoming Monsters of the Multiverse book, which largely compiles and updates that material. As per the D&D Beyond FAQ for Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse: Can I still buy Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on D&D Beyond...

D&D Beyond will be permanently removing Volo’s Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on May 17th in favor of the upcoming Monsters of the Multiverse book, which largely compiles and updates that material.

AF030AF7-6B9A-4812-8080-A66465876F13.jpeg

As per the D&D Beyond FAQ for Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse:

Can I still buy Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on D&D Beyond?
Starting on May 16, you can acquire the streamlined and up-to-date creatures and character race options, as well as a plethora of exciting new content, by purchasing Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse. On May 17, Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes will be discontinued from our digital marketplace.

If you already own these two books you will still have access to your purchases and any characters or encounters you built with them. They won’t be removed from your purchased sourcebooks. Therefore, if you want the "fluff" and tables in those two tomes in D&D Beyond, you need to purchase them soon.

This is the first time books have been wholesale delisted from the D&D Beyond Platform rather than updated (much like physical book reprints are with errata and changes).

There’s no word from WotC on whether physical books will be discontinued and be allowed to sell out.

Weiley31

Legend

no flip it around and take a picture

I don't understand. You said they didn't say 5th edition. I showed you they did. Flipping it around won't change that.

yes it will, try it... flip it around and take a picture of the front. for ha ha's take one of the spine too
Now I gotta grab my copy and flip it to be sure.

JEB

Legend
It's definitely not just about the orcs (though I agree that's likely a factor); note the errata changes they made to Volo's that cut a lot of other details from the (presumably final) printing. Plus the fact that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is also being dropped down the memory hole, which had far fewer complaints (and no content errata). I would bet this is just the beginning of a reshuffle in what they want available for the game as we approach 2024 edition, and more will be delisted over the next two years.

And don't worry, I'm sure they'll be happy to sell D&D Beyond users another digital copy (in PDF form) on the DM Guild. (Or a third copy if you already had print and DDB.) Though I'm curious how they'll be differentiating this older 5E stuff from 2024 edition, if they don't want them to be treated as the same thing...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right and nothing breaks if you have a rogue, wizard, warlock, and bard, in the same group, so obviously nothing will break if you have some options with "PB per Long Rest" mechanics in place of "per short rest" mechanics.
I think there is a real chance that WotC cuts Short Rests entirely...but even that won't break anything with a tiny modicum of planning (add a "any rule that allows for a short rest recharge should read as twice your Proficiency Bonus per day").

Note that none of these things, not one, are in the actual rules section. Those are all modules that plug in or out, by design.
just to be clear, you don't think there are ANY rules on what an elf is, or what a Fighter is then?
Hard disagree, but the point is they won't change it.
if you only think the only rule is roll d20 add modifire and get high you are... in your own way of seeing it... correct. I doubt they will change to a % or a 3d6 system

Remove ads

Remove ads