D&D 5E D&D Celebration Schedule Announced

WotC has posted the schedule for it's D&D Celebration online event taking place from 18th-20th September.

ddc.png

The event includes a range of panels and live games, including sessions on Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden and Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, mental health, inclusive dungeon design, and including asian stories in your games. These include people such as Daniel Kwan (Asians Represent) and Sara Thompson (The Combat Wheelchair), who have both spoken publicly about problematic issues in D&D.

Rather than getting into another thread explaining why a gnome with 20 str is already possible, I think what's more notable is not only Daniel Kwan speaking but will get a direct opportunity to publicly address the controversy

Asian cultures are cool, and I want to learn about these cultures from the perspectives of Asian themselves.

I am glad WotC invited Kwan.

To have someone who is an outsider to pretend to represent it, seems like a painful waste of time.

Let a native of a culture who is more intimate talk about it!

Last edited:

marv

Explorer
The limitation of Asians Represent On Oriental Adventures is that none of the panelists seems to have researched their topic before starting. For example, they incorrectly assumed Comeliness was created just for OA. As a result, it’s a problematic podcast to listen to, despite it winning some award. Nor do they seem to understand the state of game writing at the time OA was written nor even what the fundamental purpose of an RPG source book is. As is, the listener needs to evaluate each opinion expressed in the podcast with a grain of salt as they make fun of someone’s labor if love, from the comfort of decades of hindsight. It would be better to have a more scholarly analysis of OA.

As far as I can tell, OA was a sincere effort at including Asian cultures into your D&D campaign. That is certainly how I received it back when it was released. Now that is something to celebrate!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The limitation of Asians Represent On Oriental Adventures is that none of the panelists seems to have researched their topic before starting. For example, they incorrectly assumed Comeliness was created just for OA. As a result, it’s a problematic podcast to listen to, despite it winning some award. Nor do they seem to understand the state of game writing at the time OA was written nor even what the fundamental purpose of an RPG source book is. As is, the listener needs to evaluate each opinion expressed in the podcast with a grain of salt as they make fun of someone’s labor if love, from the comfort of decades of hindsight. It would be better to have a more scholarly analysis of OA.

As far as I can tell, OA was a sincere effort at including Asian cultures into your D&D campaign. That is certainly how I received it back when it was released. Now that is something to celebrate!

Seems like projecting a nitpick into cause to dismantle the entire argument. Your argument is especially troubling when you're standing up to defend blatantly racist texts and their white authors from criticism by people who's cultures were caricatured by the book. Shame on you.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

They actually did an executive summary podcast about a month ago, where they admitted some of those early stumbles and talked about the learning process of developing their close reading. Worth checking out.

Comeliness was still truly, truly terrible.

marv

Explorer
They actually did an executive summary podcast about a month ago, where they admitted some of those early stumbles and talked about the learning process of developing their close reading. Worth checking out.

Comeliness was still truly, truly terrible.
That’s reassuring to hear. Do you have a link?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases