D&D General D&D coming to SDCC 2023

jgsugden

Legend
This is a bigger deal than in normal years because most of the studios and even comic companies backed out of this year due to the strike. So D&D being there will attract more attention.
Or it is not as significant as the event will have less prestige and more people will back out of going.

jgsugden

Legend
It is, as always, long sold out. If half of those tickets were suddenly available again tomorrow, they would sell out again tomorrow. Demand is way higher than supply on ComicCon tickets.
But why? The costumes and parties are a part of it, but so is a Hall H full of premium presentations. Time will tell - you could be right and this will still be a hard ticket ... or you could be wrong and we might see this be the first year of the decline of Comic Con. We have already had most of the major presenters transition a lot of their presentations to their own events...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
But why? The costumes and parties are a part of it, but so is a Hall H full of premium presentations. Time will tell - you could be right and this will still be a hard ticket ... or you could be wrong and we might see this be the first year of the decline of Comic Con. We have already had most of the major presenters transition a lot of their presentations to their own events...
I've been going to Comic Con for 42 years (though not the last 5 years). It was selling out even when you could just wander into Hall H and sit down any time without a line. The San Diego convention center has been too small for the demand for this event for decades now - since before the Entertainment Industry really even figured out the value of ComicCon.

It's truly not in doubt. The event is in fact sold out. I don't even think it's refundable but if it is, there is zero news of cancelations. Just ordinary vendor hall and ordinary panel discussions and costumes and meetups is more than enough to fill the San Diego convention center. Heck, the secondary ComicCon in Los Angeles in December which has no entertainment industry present sold out too.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, San Diego has expanded the convention center multiple times since 1999, when I started going, dramatically increasing its size, always because of Comic-Con. Only people who don't go to Comic-Con would think there'd ever be an attendance problem.

jgsugden

Legend
I've been going to Comic Con for 42 years (though not the last 5 years). It was selling out even when you could just wander into Hall H and sit down any time without a line. The San Diego convention center has been too small for the demand for this event for decades now - since before the Entertainment Industry really even figured out the value of ComicCon.

It's truly not in doubt. The event is in fact sold out. I don't even think it's refundable but if it is, there is zero news of cancelations. Just ordinary vendor hall and ordinary panel discussions and costumes and meetups is more than enough to fill the San Diego convention center. Heck, the secondary ComicCon in Los Angeles in December which has no entertainment industry present sold out too.
The deadline for refund requests was a little before all of the announcements that all of these major players would not be there. Tickets are non-transferable as well, as you likely know. So, if your major reason to be there was to gamble that you'd get to see Marvel - and there are a lot of people that miss a lot of the convention just to wait for that opportunity ... you may have a choice now between spending a lot on hotels, airfare, etc... to do the secondary stuff you did while waiting for Marvel in Hall H ... or getting the refunds you can and skipping entirely.

Upon reflection, I think you're right. People will go this year. But with the increasing negative side (monetization, sexual harrassment/assaults, etc...), the decreasing premiere presences (no DCU, Marvel, etc...), etc... this may be the year that the FOMO starts to diminish. Maybe the demand for tickets is less next year when people are not so sure Marvel will be there.
Yeah, San Diego has expanded the convention center multiple times since 1999, when I started going, dramatically increasing its size, always because of Comic-Con. Only people who don't go to Comic-Con would think there'd ever be an attendance problem.
Everything has a peak.

OK, I like to speculate and I am going to do it again here. My theory is we could see collab, like Minecraft, Stranger Things or Ricky&Morty.

Could we see any time Fortnite collab within D&D:Beyond? Or another franchise.

jg5oznk031k51.png

Diablo and D&D have collabrated before, they could do an updated version for D&D24 with Diablo 4 lore.

Legend of Zelda Hirule setting book?

Blood of Zeus setting book?

League of Legends D&D setting book?

Mortal Combat or Street Fighter setting book?

WotC-Blizzard? Maybe, Warcraft would be a better option. I don't know if they would rather to await to the end of the troubles about the possible acquisition by Microsoft.

Zelda-Hirule? My opinion is one of the most possible options.

Blood of Zeus? Maybe "God of War" because this is more famous.

Runeterra/League of Legends? I have an open mind about this option.

MK and SF are too focused into 1v1, without armors or weapons, and set in the modern age. Other thing would be a D&D mash-up version of a famous franchise.

Maybe Hasbro should hurry or Japanese fantasy franchises (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy..) could be licenced to Dragon-Sword RPG.

Remove ads