D&D General D&D coming to SDCC 2023

jgsugden

Legend
So maybe the tickets will take 12 hours to sell out in February rather than 90 minutes? ;)

I don't know the actual times anymore, been more than a decade since I went, but I remember it used to sell out within an hour or something crazy for those who had not attended the year before and had bought their next year tickets at the event. Not sure they do that anymore, but yea, demand is just crazy.
Guys, I get what the situation has been. I've been asking whether these situations mark the point where we passed the peak ... meaning that this would be the start of the decline. There are a lot of examples of formerly popular events and activities - things that used to sell out near instantly - that peaked and declined ... many having gone extinct over the years.

There were times when it was hard to get professional sports tickets in Oakland, CA. However, the Raiders, A's and Warriors are all gone (or going). How was your recent trip to Radio Shack, Tower Records, and Blockbuster? There were once long lines at every one of those places. If you're flying, you might struggle to find that Pan Am ticket. What took down each of these major players? A changing world around them.

I'm not suggesting that Comic Con will be a ghost town in the next few years.

What I'm suggesting is that we may very well look back in 5 or 10 years and say that Comic Con's decline was clearly underway in 2024.

Nutation

Explorer
I am watching the floor at ComicCon on YouTube and...all the studios look to be there. Actors and writers obviously are not there, but those booths are all there. Marvel, Paramount, Nickelodeon, Sony, Comedy Central, Hulu, etc. huge booths. Looks great. Wish I were there. Apparently more focus on Manga this year, which continues a trend from the past few years.

I walked the floor today; same conclusion. Some of the events have been cancelled, maybe a lot of the big ones. In particular, I expected a panel and preview of the long-anticipated (snark) 2nd season of Wheel of Time. Nope. Other the were moved up in the schedule. I did see a F X preview, so it's not all forbidden.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I walked the floor today; same conclusion. Some of the events have been cancelled, maybe a lot of the big ones. In particular, I expected a panel and preview of the long-anticipated (snark) 2nd season of Wheel of Time. Nope. Other the were moved up in the schedule. I did see a F X preview, so it's not all forbidden.
Maybe unpopular opinion but my wife and I enjoyed the first season of Wheel of Time and are looking forward to the next season. :)

Also apparently they film under UK Equity, which is not on strike and barred from striking under UK law. They appear to be continuing to film season 3 (season 2 is in the bag). But the actors could not come to the US for a panel as some are SAG/AFTRA members and an event in the US where they appear on behalf of film or television could run afoul of SAF/AFTRA rules.

Last edited:

What I'm suggesting is that we may very well look back in 5 or 10 years and say that Comic Con's decline was clearly underway in 2024.
I don't think so. It is certainly possible, but I see nerd/gamer/alternative culture still continuing to grow. I don't see it having yet reached saturation or peak in first world western countries. And certainly not in the rest of the world.

And though it is certainly possible that the culture could continue to grow and one aspect of it, SDCC, could decline. I don't think it will. SDCC has such an overabundance of reserve demand that not only would it take years or massive screw ups to spend that, it also gives them years to recover and fix it before any such downturn actually threatens them.

I think it would take at least 10 years before we could look back and make an accurate estimate of if it had peaked now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Edit: crossed wire. But I do remember this.

Nutation

Explorer
I see more art on the buildings facing the S D convention center than I have in 15 years (Paramount, Fox animation others). I don't know what that means.

Last edited:

Guys, I get what the situation has been. I've been asking whether these situations mark the point where we passed the peak ... meaning that this would be the start of the decline. There are a lot of examples of formerly popular events and activities - things that used to sell out near instantly - that peaked and declined ... many having gone extinct over the years.

There were times when it was hard to get professional sports tickets in Oakland, CA. However, the Raiders, A's and Warriors are all gone (or going). How was your recent trip to Radio Shack, Tower Records, and Blockbuster? There were once long lines at every one of those places. If you're flying, you might struggle to find that Pan Am ticket. What took down each of these major players? A changing world around them.

I'm not suggesting that Comic Con will be a ghost town in the next few years.

Bringing up Oakland's sports troubles is hardly a fair comparison. The Warriors were at the height of their power and packing them in at the time of the move. The Raiders were still drawing large crowds as well when they moved. It's only the A's that you can make an argument for, and that's because the owner purposely wrecked the team (with no little collusion with MLB) in order to push down attendance so he could justify the move. And that's the reason for all three; the teams weren't unpopular - the owners just got tempting offers of nice new stadiums/arenas elsewhere, and manipulated things to give them reasons to move.

jgsugden

Legend
Bringing up Oakland's sports troubles is hardly a fair comparison. The Warriors were at the height of their power and packing them in at the time of the move. The Raiders were still drawing large crowds as well when they moved. It's only the A's that you can make an argument for, and that's because the owner purposely wrecked the team (with no little collusion with MLB) in order to push down attendance so he could justify the move. And that's the reason for all three; the teams weren't unpopular - the owners just got tempting offers of nice new stadiums/arenas elsewhere, and manipulated things to give them reasons to move.
So, what you're arguing is that things can fall apart and go away even if they retain popularity, especially when there is an overreach by owners/organizers where the focus on profit exceeds the focus on quality, even when the loss of quality is not always a choice of the owner/management? Ok.

Remove ads