D&D compendium

bolen

First Post
So I don't get this. It sounds like they are going to put the entire books online. That does not make sense. Idiots like me might buy the books (because I tend to collect such things) but who else would. Maybe I don't understand what this product will be (assuming it actually comes out).

Klaus

First Post
bolen said:
So I don't get this. It sounds like they are going to put the entire books online. That does not make sense. Idiots like me might buy the books (because I tend to collect such things) but who else would. Maybe I don't understand what this product will be (assuming it actually comes out).
It could work like a library. You pay a monthly fee to be able to access the books online (no downloadin, AFAWK).

Skywalker

Adventurer
bolen said:

The SRD was available for almost all of 3e and it did nothing but increase sales. In 4e, you will pay a fee to access the rules online. The market for real books with layout, art and formatting is very high. So don't assume your idiocy is unique to you ;)

Klaus said:
It could work like a library. You pay a monthly fee to be able to access the books online (no downloadin, AFAWK).

That's how I thought it was going to work. No downloading possible as far as I was aware.

You are basically renting access to the entire 4E D&D library as part of the D&D Insider subscription.

Olaf the Stout

pedr

Explorer
My (incomplete) understanding of the Rules Compendium is that it will work in a way which is similar to d20srd.org - mainly that if you do not know what you're looking for, it is not going to be very helpful, and if you want advice or fluff or anything except for the precise rules-text, it won't be there, or will be inordinately long-winded to access.

(So, you might be able to get the text of a particular Fighter Daily Exploit. Clicking on 'Reliable' will get you to a definition of the word. Clicking on 'Standard Action' will give you a list of things you can do with standard actions' and so on - but learning the game from it, or playing with only the compendium available would be practically impossible.

I could be wrong, though - we'll find out soon-ish when it is accessible!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I swear I could have heard about a nominal fee being tacked on to the DDI cost for the availability of the books as an electronic resource.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Reveille said:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I swear I could have heard about a nominal fee being tacked on to the DDI cost for the availability of the books as an electronic resource.

Pretty sure this was dropped when they killed the idea of PDF downloads with a hard copy rulebook purchase.

The Compendium is not a copy of the books. It is only a database of character options such as races, classes, feats, powers, etc. with full text descriptions. The contents of the book themselves or rules that govern combat are not included. Thus it will be nothing like the 3.5 SRD. Think more like the Consolidated Lists on WotC's site with full text explanations and details, nothing more.

Remove ads