D&D 5E D&D Digital Plans To Be Revealed On February 21st

Brian D. Goldner, Chairman of the Board and CEO at Hasbro took part in the company's Quarter 4 2019 earnings call. This included several references to D&D. D&D grew again for the sixth year in a row. Streaming D&D content was up nearly 50% on last year. Substantial new (digital) gaming plans for D&D will be revealed on February 21st at Hasbro's Analyst Day Total games category grew by 6%...

Brian D. Goldner, Chairman of the Board and CEO at Hasbro took part in the company's Quarter 4 2019 earnings call. This included several references to D&D.

960x0.jpg

• D&D grew again for the sixth year in a row.
  • Streaming D&D content was up nearly 50% on last year.
  • Substantial new (digital) gaming plans for D&D will be revealed on February 21st at Hasbro's Analyst Day
  • Total games category grew by 6%, as D&D, MtG, and Monopoly bolstered declines elsewhere.
  • Profit declined due to digital D&D and M:tG digital games investment.
"Well, good morning, and we did see very strong growth for Magic: The Gathering and increased growth for Dungeons & Dragons. "

"Magic: The Gathering revenues increased more than 30% in the year, behind double-digit growth in tabletop play and a strong first year for Magic: The Gathering Arena. Dungeons & Dragons revenues grew for the sixth straight year, and we are meaningfully investing in both brands to drive engaging storytelling, while developing new digital games with high margin profitable growth longer term. We look forward to sharing our 2020 new gaming plans for Magic and D&D on February 21. MONOPOLY had double-digit revenue growth and grew in each region with new themes and relevant entertainment tie-ins. We advanced our consumer products licensing business growing revenues double digits and expanding operating profit margin. We've broadened our licensed brand portfolio and expanded our reach with original live events that drive consumer engagement."

"In addition, for D&D, we did see our sixth straight year of growth. We are seeing about 150 million hours of content viewed on Twitch and YouTube, which is up nearly 50% year-on-year. In the first half of 2020, we are seeing a lot of new initiatives coming for the brand, but again I'm going to let Chris walk us through at at our Analyst Day, our plans for digital gaming, which are again substantial for D&D that begins in 2020."

"You'll also see great digital game development for D&D. And we will see you on February 21 to outline that."

"Our total games category grew 6% for the year, fueled by growth in Magic: The Gathering and MONOPOLY. Higher revenues from Dungeons & Dragons and several classic games titles did not offset declines in our Hasbro Gaming portfolio"

"Adjusted operating profit and profit margin declined as we invest in digital gaming initiatives including Magic: The Gathering Arena and future Magic and Dungeons & Dragons digital games."

"We delivered compelling gaming experiences, led by the work of our teams at Wizards of the Coast. Our positive results to date have us on plan to double Wizards of the Coast coast revenues over five years from 2018 to 2023."

You can read the full transcript at The Motley Fool.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
yep, we sure did misinterpret this nebulous statement 🙄
The announcements that CEOs make to investors are very different from the announcements that Developers make to consumers. Most of the predictions people were coming up with were suited to the latter situation, not the former. And a lot of people missed the whole "digital" aspect altogether and were predicting things like new hardcover books. Those aren't the sort of things that CEOs announce to investors, and they certainly aren't digital.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Since to some degree Lucasfilm is it's own group, I don't see why the would mind especially since WotC already published one for close to a decade. Since D&D is even bigger now, I'd think they'd want to exploit the synergy.

I seriously doubt it. Far more logical for them to just say "make an RPG and call it something else."

Sunsword

Adventurer
I seriously doubt it. Far more logical for them to just say "make an RPG and call it something else."

We will just have to agree to disagree, Lucasfilm was handpicked to run it by Lucas when Disney bought it, for good or bad. I just can't see Disney not wanting the brand leader for an RPG system.

Urriak Uruk

We will just have to agree to disagree, Lucasfilm was handpicked to run it by Lucas when Disney bought it, for good or bad. I just can't see Disney not wanting the brand leader for an RPG system.

And I can't see Disney allowing a different brand that doesn't quite create synergy (there are no dungeons or dragons in Star Wars) take top billing over STAR WARS. But we're all allowed an opinion.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
The announcements that CEOs make to investors are very different from the announcements that Developers make to consumers. Most of the predictions people were coming up with were suited to the latter situation, not the former.
that doesn't change the fact that they clearly stated they would announce something about digital d&d products on this date?
And a lot of people missed the whole "digital" aspect altogether and were predicting things like new hardcover books. Those aren't the sort of things that CEOs announce to investors, and they certainly aren't digital.
I don't see that in this thread, at least not in the capacity that I would describe it as "a lot of people".
By the way, there's definitely no other news today. Dragon Talk will be interviewing a meteorologist.
d&d weather app

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
that doesn't change the fact that they clearly stated they would announce something about digital d&d products on this date?
Yea, that's what's confusing to me. This date got mentioned twice during the investor call, specifically in reference to Magic and D&D. The only news that was announced today was the extension of the licensing deal between Hasbro and Disney (a really big deal that would certainly stick in a CEO's mind.)

The only correlation I can see is that the Disney licensing deal somehow impacts Magic and D&D, or there's going to be an announcement at the Toy Fair related to the licensing news release.

Urriak Uruk

Yea, that's what's confusing to me. This date got mentioned twice during the investor call, specifically in reference to Magic and D&D. The only news that was announced today was the extension of the licensing deal between Hasbro and Disney (a really big deal that would certainly stick in a CEO's mind.)

The only correlation I can see is that the Disney licensing deal somehow impacts Magic and D&D, or there's going to be an announcement at the Toy Fair related to the licensing news release.

This is the "announcement." This had already been revealed by somebody else in an interview, but the President of Wizards clearly didn't get the memo so said this like it was new (and to most of the investors, it probably was). One game will be released every year.

Anyway, TLDR, there is nothing new, let's move on.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
There are also 7 digital games in the works. That's part of the announcement.

Is that exciting? No, not really. But we're consumers, not investors, and this announcement was clearly intended for investors, not us. That's why it was made in a quarterly earnings call.

Anyone major consumer-facing announcement is going to made by the official D&D/WotC Twitter accounts.

Remove ads

Remove ads