D&D 5E D&D Digital Plans To Be Revealed On February 21st

Brian D. Goldner, Chairman of the Board and CEO at Hasbro took part in the company's Quarter 4 2019 earnings call. This included several references to D&D.

960x0.jpg

• D&D grew again for the sixth year in a row.
  • Streaming D&D content was up nearly 50% on last year.
  • Substantial new (digital) gaming plans for D&D will be revealed on February 21st at Hasbro's Analyst Day
  • Total games category grew by 6%, as D&D, MtG, and Monopoly bolstered declines elsewhere.
  • Profit declined due to digital D&D and M:tG digital games investment.
"Well, good morning, and we did see very strong growth for Magic: The Gathering and increased growth for Dungeons & Dragons. "

"Magic: The Gathering revenues increased more than 30% in the year, behind double-digit growth in tabletop play and a strong first year for Magic: The Gathering Arena. Dungeons & Dragons revenues grew for the sixth straight year, and we are meaningfully investing in both brands to drive engaging storytelling, while developing new digital games with high margin profitable growth longer term. We look forward to sharing our 2020 new gaming plans for Magic and D&D on February 21. MONOPOLY had double-digit revenue growth and grew in each region with new themes and relevant entertainment tie-ins. We advanced our consumer products licensing business growing revenues double digits and expanding operating profit margin. We've broadened our licensed brand portfolio and expanded our reach with original live events that drive consumer engagement."

"In addition, for D&D, we did see our sixth straight year of growth. We are seeing about 150 million hours of content viewed on Twitch and YouTube, which is up nearly 50% year-on-year. In the first half of 2020, we are seeing a lot of new initiatives coming for the brand, but again I'm going to let Chris walk us through at at our Analyst Day, our plans for digital gaming, which are again substantial for D&D that begins in 2020."

"You'll also see great digital game development for D&D. And we will see you on February 21 to outline that."

"Our total games category grew 6% for the year, fueled by growth in Magic: The Gathering and MONOPOLY. Higher revenues from Dungeons & Dragons and several classic games titles did not offset declines in our Hasbro Gaming portfolio"

"Adjusted operating profit and profit margin declined as we invest in digital gaming initiatives including Magic: The Gathering Arena and future Magic and Dungeons & Dragons digital games."

"We delivered compelling gaming experiences, led by the work of our teams at Wizards of the Coast. Our positive results to date have us on plan to double Wizards of the Coast coast revenues over five years from 2018 to 2023."

You can read the full transcript at The Motley Fool.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You realize that WotC already did 3 Star Wars RPGs right? None of those had D&D on them and I don't think a new one would if this occurred. But they did use the existing D&D engine or a variation thereof. Personally, I don't see that happening because WotC walked away from the license earlier this decade.

Wtf are you even disagreeing with me on? I've already said that I just don't think they'd use D&D on the title, the actual system could be very similar to D&D 5E, it just won't use "D&D" in its name.

Now I don't think what Wizard's did last decade matters much to what Wizards does today, Hasbro owns them and the licensing agreement with Star Wars has been extended. The idea that Hasbro would turn does making a new Star Wars RPG is nonsensical, it's practically printing money.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Wtf are you even disagreeing with me on? I've already said that I just don't think they'd use D&D on the title, the actual system could be very similar to D&D 5E, it just won't use "D&D" in its name.

Now I don't think what Wizard's did last decade matters much to what Wizards does today, Hasbro owns them and the licensing agreement with Star Wars has been extended. The idea that Hasbro would turn does making a new Star Wars RPG is nonsensical, it's practically printing money.

But it is putting canon in the hands of other writers for what amounts to a very small amount of money.

Disney wants firm control of what is out there in terms of plots and themes. As far as Disney is concerned all Star Wars Extended Universe stuff has been stricken from canon.

There was a Fallout RPG that was scheduled once but when Fallout 4 was in the works the company withdrew the licensing because they didn't want to muddle their brand.

Video games get made but they're much larger than pen and paper RPGs.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Well when the CEO of Hasbro says that the D&D digital plans will be revealed on Feb 21st and the D&D digital plans aren’t revealed on Feb 21st, your frustration at the messenger seems misplaced. Sorry dude; I just told you what they said.

I apologize for the tone of that. My frustration is with Hasbro/WotC. I should have conveyed that much, much better.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
But it is putting canon in the hands of other writers for what amounts to a very small amount of money.

Disney wants firm control of what is out there in terms of plots and themes. As far as Disney is concerned all Star Wars Extended Universe stuff has been stricken from canon.

There was a Fallout RPG that was scheduled once but when Fallout 4 was in the works the company withdrew the licensing because they didn't want to muddle their brand.

Video games get made but they're much larger than pen and paper RPGs.

What are you talking about? Star Wars books and comics are being published today that add to the canon, Disney barely cares about this anymore. So sure they removed all the extended universe stuff, but since striking it they've been a-ok with printing stuff that adds to it.

And an RPG book doesn't even have to add to the canon at all; it can easily just be a Star Wars encyclopedia guide combined with rules on how to play the game. There is plenty of material already printed that an RPG book can reuse for the lore/setting stuff.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
The title was a direct quote from the Hasbro CEO. It is just what they consider plans and what fans want with regards to those plans are different things. Company execs talking to investors are not going to be giving details, just general strategic vision.
there's still a lot to glean from this: Hasbro wants to greatly expand D&D as a franchise. if it were just one other game in addition to the ones we know about it implies they're still cautious about expanding the D&D brand, but 7 games is a lot at once.

also no announcements on any sort of D&D app related to the tabletop game, which means they're not super interested in digitizing the crap out of D&D.
That was before Disney utterly devalued the IP with movies even Star Wars fans hate, so it might be cheaper, who knows. I'm not a Star Wars fan AT ALL so I could care a less what happens to it.
I mean I've been a star wars fan since I was a kid, I loved rogue one, and solo was okay, also episodes 7 and 8 were a great time 😉

also these movies raked in billions of dollars, I'm not sure where the idea of the IP being devalued comes from lmao

uh, hasbro still owned them the last time they had the license to star wars. in fact being owned by hasbro probably helped them in that arena significantly, if anything.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases