WotC D&D Direct—Video Event From WotC Coming Next Week

WotC has just announced D&D Direct, a 30-minute video presentation of upcoming plans for D&D. The Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast is excited to announce that D&D Direct is scheduled for Tuesday, March 28 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time. Tune in to watch a jam-packed 30-minute video presentation to see exclusive reveals from Wizards of the Coast and its partners, including the...

WotC has just announced D&D Direct, a 30-minute video presentation of upcoming plans for D&D.

The Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast is excited to announce that D&D Direct is scheduled for Tuesday, March 28 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time.

Tune in to watch a jam-packed 30-minute video presentation to see exclusive reveals from Wizards of the Coast and its partners, including the latest about the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game along with entertainment tie-ins with the upcoming release of Paramount's Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, video game reveals, and more, guided by hosts Gina Darling (@MissGinaDarling) and Ify Nwadiwe (@IfyNwadiwe).

D&D Direct will broadcast on the D&D YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/DNDWizards) and Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/dnd) channels.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Or skip it and have Goodman give the OAR treatment to Bkackmoor. Skips the legal question and is an even older vintage.
WotC doesn't have the rights to Blackmoor, last I heard. And Goodman has produced Blackmoor stuff in the past and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I think Blackmoor is rapidly dropping out of memory/interest for most D&D players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't know that anyone has such fond memories of Castle Greyhawk, Ruins of Greyhawk, or Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk to make them worth revisiting. Likewise, I don't know that there are any people they're likely to work with who would get the Greyhawk grognards fired up.

I can see them doing a campaign setting update with a small dungeon adventure, though.
I mean, that's all I would expect. If WotC does a Greyhawk product, the model I would expect is the Spelljammer set: a small Setting Guide (they could get the 1984 version of the Setting in a similar sized book), a book of weird gonzo Mosnters, and a mini-Megadungeon to get that old school vibe. 50th anniversary products are as much about borrowed nostalgia for new fans as anything, so I think that would update make sense.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean, that's all I would expect. If WotC does a Greyhawk product, the model I would expect is the Spelljammer set: a small Setting Guide (they could get the 1984 version of the Setting in a similar sized book), a book of weird gonzo Mosnters, and a mini-Megadungeon to get that old school vibe. 50th anniversary products are as much about borrowed nostalgia for new fans as anything, so I think that would update make sense.
This will likely get rocks thrown at me, but Greyhawk-specific monsters suck.

Of the stuff that isn't core -- and "core" meant Greyhawk in 1E -- it's dumb stuff like valley elves and cooshee, the terrible Greyhawk dragons and other stuff from the completely superfluous Greyhawk Adventures 1E hardcover and not much else. Vecna's goofy cultists with hands or eyes for heads?

They'd be better off just grabbing a bunch of 1E Fiend Folio monsters and what few Monster Manual II monsters haven't been made core and pretending they were Greyhawk-specific all along.

Or just skipping monsters in favor of NPC stat blocks, allowing DMs to include Bigby, Robilar, etc., and everyone from the iconic character section of Rogues Gallery in their games.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This will likely get rocks thrown at me, but Greyhawk-specific monsters suck.

Of the stuff that isn't core -- and "core" meant Greyhawk in 1E -- it's dumb stuff like valley elves and cooshee, the terrible Greyhawk dragons and other stuff from the completely superfluous Greyhawk Adventures 1E hardcover and not much else. Vecna's goofy cultists with hands or eyes for heads?

They'd be better off just grabbing a bunch of 1E Fiend Folio and what few Monster Manual II monsters haven't been made core and pretending they were Greyhawk-specific all along.

Or just skipping monsters in favor of NPC stat blocks, allowing DMs to include Bigby, Robilar, etc., and everyone from the iconic character section of Rogues Gallery in their games.
I would agree entitely: less of an opportunity do "Greyhawk specific" and more "weird Old D&D stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else."

WotC doesn't have the rights to Blackmoor, last I heard. And Goodman has produced Blackmoor stuff in the past and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I think Blackmoor is rapidly dropping out of memory/interest for most D&D players.
And, honestly, except for a small subset of grognards, it dropped out of memory/interest long, long ago. My friends and I started playing in 1983 and we were only dimly aware of it. Nearly all of my current group started playing mid-80s to late-90s and I don't think any of them even know what it is, sadly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And, honestly, except for a small subset of grognards, it dropped out of memory/interest long, long ago. My friends and I started playing in 1983 and we were only dimly aware of it. Nearly all of my current group started playing mid-80s to late-90s and I don't think any of them even know what it is, sadly.
Greyhawk also has Millenial nostalgia to draw on: I started playing I'm the 3.5 era, and I have nostalgia for Greyhawk based in the 3E books.

Blackmore is a trivia fact, not a nostalgic touchstone, to me.

Blackmoor could be made cool, but I'm not sure how well 1970s sci-fi + fantasy would play. How did Paizo's science fiction mash-up AP work out? I never hear anyone mention it.
Iron Gods? Back in PF1 era, it was one of the more popular ones, from what I recall. Since PF2, I don't know, I've been out of the loop.

And, it would be great for Blackmoor to get it's due. I don't want to be dismissive of it. But when it comes to popularity, it's never caught on (or, alternatively, never been given much of a chance to catch on - there's always the question of which is the cart and which is the horse when it comes to publishing and popularity).

Remove ads

Remove ads