• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Encounters Season 2 Kits are out

TirionAnthion

First Post
I didn't see a post about this yet, here or in the D&D 4e discussion page so I thought that I would mention that the Season 2 kits have arrived. My FLGS (Mayhem Comics in Des Moines IA) just got the kits today. I am the one coordinating the program so I now have the kit in front of me.

It is being shipped in three parts. Part 2 will be shipped in July and part 3 in August. The first part contains all the material for sessions 1-5. The module Fury of the Wastewalker part 1 and the maps for part one are included. They look like they have been built using the new Athas dungeon tiles so it gives a nice sneak peek at what some of those tiles will look like. It also contains the level one pregens for the adventure, the 10 renown pt rewards, 2 sets of condition cards like the previous kit, a promotional poster, a set of generic monster tokens and a set of name tag foldups for each of the premades.

The module itself is similar to the last one in design, although not as big as it only contains 5 sessions worth of adventure. It is subtitled Chapter 1 of 3: An Obsidian Rain. It weighs in at 23 pages with the first 10 pages dedicated to describing the rewards and magic items to be given out in the adventure. The first 10 pages also contains a quick and dirty Athas primer.

The premade characters are on laminated sheets like the recent premades and are as follows:

Yuka - Male mul brawling fighter (wasteland nomad)
Phye - Female human enlightened ardent (noble adept)
Castri - Male elf marauder ranger (gladiator)
Barcan - Male human cosmic sorcerer (veiled alliance)
Shikirr - Male thri-kreen quick battlemind (wilder)
Jarvix - Male tiefling telepathic psion (vieled alliance)

My store also received a seperate marketing kit that contained a dozen drink koozies. They are black with the D&D Encounters logo on them. On the opposite side from the logo is the stat block for the koozie:

Athasian Sleeve of Refreshment Level 1
This obsidian black sheath fits snuggle around your favorite drink, shielding it from the warming effects common to the Sea of Silt, the Ivory Triangle, and your gaming table.
Wondrous Item D&D Encounters
Property: When fitted around a standard can or bottle, this insulating koozie protects your hand from suffering any ill effects that may be causeed by holding a frosty beverage, while keeping your drink refreshingly cold.
Special: You can probably get away with not using a coaster.

Although I see a little power creep there. Last time they sent coasters in the promotional kit and now they are rendering those coasters obsolete with this new kit. Darn WotC! :)

Anyway just thought I would let the curious know what was in the kits. My groups are anxious to start the new season.

Last edited:

amysrevenge

First Post
I flipped through the kit at my FLGS (Myth Games in Calgary AB Canada) today, and the only thing that caught my eye was that the Elf (Castri) has a speed of 8.

And we had a good chuckle over the koozies.

(Oh, also the condition cards are the same out-dated ones. For instance, "Restrained" still references "Immobilized", which was changed with the last errata.)

DarthMouth

First Post
Im very curious about those Dark Sun Tieflings.. How them can be ? Im expecting some good stuff way different from core. and twisted alá D_Sun tradition. Any clue bout that already given ???? That pre-made caracter have any background info on Tieflings ?????

TirionAnthion

First Post
Im very curious about those Dark Sun Tieflings.. How them can be ? Im expecting some good stuff way different from core. and twisted alá D_Sun tradition. Any clue bout that already given ???? That pre-made caracter have any background info on Tieflings ?????

The module has a section entitled People and Races of Athas. It has the following entry:
"Farther afield, tiefliings make their homes in the wastes, frequently using their unsettling appearance to conduct fierce raids."

The character background on the sheet just mentions that the character was born in the wastes and was a bit of a loner. It also mentions that he only has one horn which is unusual for his people.

That is all of the tiefling information that is available in the kit.

One of the interesting aspects of being forced to use the premades is that the adventure is tailored to those characters. The module references the specific characters at numerous points. Some of the monster tactics mention that the monsters will attack certain characters over others.

Feel free to fire off any other questions you have, although as a DM I am ethically prevented from giving any plot spoilers. :)

Rechan

Adventurer
the first 10 pages dedicated to describing the rewards and magic items to be given out in the adventure
Is this relating to the RPGA rewards thing, or is this more like just "The loot" and how it works?

Because I'm wondering if there are any rules about rolling a 1 with the magical items. Since we know that if you roll a 1 with your normal gear, there's a likelihood of it breaking.

Any new monsters in the adventure? :D

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Is this relating to the RPGA rewards thing, or is this more like just "The loot" and how it works?

Because I'm wondering if there are any rules about rolling a 1 with the magical items. Since we know that if you roll a 1 with your normal gear, there's a likelihood of it breaking.
To clarify...
In the Dark Sun preview: rolling a 1 with a non-metal weapon (which is most weapons) has a chance of breaking if you choose. That is to say, you could try to roll again to either roll better (and hit) but you'd risk breaking your weapon.

Magic items probably have a less or no chance of breaking (like metal).

That's my guess, anyways. I think these rules were covered in that preview adventure, but I don't remember.

In DDE, a lot is left up to the GM anyways, and the author of Season 1 has essentially said to use the Cool/Fun Rule, so a lot of GMs might handwave breaking rules.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Good info thus far and I'm looking forward to more. Having the primordials beat the gods in the past makes for an interesting world. Though I must wonder why they did not remake it. Maybe that info is coming up.

Remove ads