D&D Gameday celebrating PHB3 - did you play today?

Samurai

Adventurer
Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet.

Today I GMed both the Game Day adventure and Encounters session 1 at the FLGS. I had 2 players with a little 4e experience, and 1 who had never played D&D before. This was my 1st time GMing 4e. Overall, I think it pretty well, and everyone seemed to have fun. I only had 3 players so I at first went easier on them, removing some of the enemies. But they were beating the encounters without much trouble and saving all their Daily powers as well, and so I actually slightly increased the challenge of the last room a bit.

Highlight of the game was when the police arrested someone right outside the store while we were playing. They took the kid down and handcuffed him while they had a knee on the back of his neck. We could see and hear everything, it was about 20' from our game. They originally pulled him over for riding his bike the wrong way on the street, but then they didn't like the answers he gave and he started to resist arrest and pull away, so they took him down and cuffed him, and hauled him away in the police car.

So, how was your Game Day?

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Our group scrounged for a fourth player before beginning. The DM didn't adjust the encounters, but we still cruised through the adventure. It undoubtedly helped that all four of us were experienced players. (I hear this store had a large turnout for D&D Encounters, many of whom were new players.)

The highlight of my day was interrupting a Foulspawn Mangler's Dagger Dance with Word of the Blinding Shield, blinding it for three of the four attacks. The DM seemed somewhat miffed. On the one daily I used, Rune of the Undeniable Dawn, all three of my attack rolls hit, and two were crits. One of these I owe to Your Lucky Day, which proved accurate.

So I had a great time! For the next WWDDGD I think I'll try my hand at DMing one. Or maybe I'll try to help a game store get started with D&D Encounters, since I haven't found one in the area compatible with my commute.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Yep...we had a very good time: there was a nice mix of new and old players at the tables (we had three tables running at a time). A good time was had by all. Bravo to WotC for organizing these events! I think this is a good example of how being the brand leader gives you some unique options for promotion...I can't imagine almost any other company doing this sort of thing.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
We had a couple of groups (and possibly a third later on) at my FLGS in Ballarat. Six of the players had never played 4E before (three were children who had never played D&D before!); the other four players were from my regular game groups. I and a friend DMed the groups.

I took the family of one ex-AD&D player and his three children, plus one of my regular players. As I'd suspected they might be attending, I created some "easy" 4e characters for them to play rather than having them struggling with the "advanced" pregenerated PHB3 characters as well as the system at the same time. I've attached one of the characters below so you can see the format I used.

Both groups had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the adventure; they found the final encounter rather easy, but the earlier encounters more challenging.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Human Ranger 6.pdf
    262.6 KB · Views: 95

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well, I spent the day playing a 3.x game - one of the final sessions of my 3-4 year long current campaign. Had a blast.

I wouldn't have known it was D&D Gameday honestly unless I saw this thread. That said, I hope everyone had a blast playing whatever they happened to play today.

DragoonLance

First Post
I was all prepped to run it, but we got six inches of snow, it's still spring break and the KU game was on, so the store was barren. Ah well. :yawn:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I played the monk today and I had a blast; I loved its unmatched mobility and ability to hit hard. If I end up playing again instead of DMing, I think I'm going to go with a monk.

Remove ads