D&D Gameday celebrating PHB3 - did you play today?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I ran a table at my FLGS. We had three tables with six players each and at least a couple of folks who couldn't play. All of my players had already played 4e.

We enjoyed the adventure (I removed, as suggested, one encounter so that we could finish in time, since the game was delayed at start). My overall impression on the new classes is positive, but of course the exposure was rather limited. I had already read the DDI previews, but had never seen any of them in action.

I'm still very perplexed by skill challenges, but someday I'll be able to figure them out... :)

Holy Bovine

First Post
My FLGS ran the event as always. We had 5 tables with 4-6 people on each. The adventure was actually really fun with 2 skill challenges one of which was quite different than normal and involved you navigating a 'sphere of madness' with different events rolled randomly that the PC had to overcome. this led to some people attempting skill check with a mere +3 bonus (most DCs were 10-12). The combats were quick and lethal with 1 PC death in my group and only the heroic efforts of the seeker prevented a second. Everyone had a lot of fun and I can't wait for the next one!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Highlight of the game was when the police arrested someone right outside the store while we were playing...but then they didn't like the answers he gave and he started to resist arrest and pull away, so they took him down and cuffed him, and hauled him away in the police car.

Tell those darned LARPers to find their own space to game in!

No, I had to miss out from my local store, but I really want to try and make the next one in my area.

Tharian

First Post
I ran one of the four tables at a not-so-local game store. We had a table of 5 so not all the characters were used. Instead, we decided to randomly hand out characters and the "Your Lucky Day" cards so that no one felt favored over anyone else.

It was the first time at a Game Day event for two of my players but I had actually played with each individual player at some point or other.

We were the table that took the longest, but everyone at the table said they had a lot of fun and would do it again, even the player who normally says she prefers Pathfinder. I think that means it was a success.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
My FLGS ran the event as always. We had 5 tables with 4-6 people on each. The adventure was actually really fun with 2 skill challenges one of which was quite different than normal and involved you navigating a 'sphere of madness' with different events rolled randomly that the PC had to overcome. this led to some people attempting skill check with a mere +3 bonus (most DCs were 10-12). The combats were quick and lethal with 1 PC death in my group and only the heroic efforts of the seeker prevented a second. Everyone had a lot of fun and I can't wait for the next one!
I can't believe you didn't bring up the flaws in the adventure that all of us DMs discussed!

OK, OK, I liked the adventure overall, but there were some interesting mistakes.

The biggest mistake was to have many skill challenge and monster knowledge checks based on Dungeoneering but with no PCs with Dungeoneering as a trained skill.

The next biggest mistake was to have a huge pit on the map, supposedly representing the rift, and have no rules for what happened when someone or something was forced into the pit.

That there was a misprint with the runepriest such that he had the same skills as the seeker was a small mistake.

The high points were definitely the warped skill challenge and the rift at the end. (I supplemented that encounter at the end with a grell that pulled characters next to the rift.)

I added some backgrounds to the PCs that were somewhat useful in the warped passage skill challenge, but most players ignored. Ah, well, what can one expect from a one-shot like this?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the psychic journey skill challenge; I hope it gets republished sometime in the future. In any case, I think I'm going to use something like it in my home campaign.

hutchback

Explorer
I too really enjoyed the psychic journey skill challenge. It was the first time where I was like "This skill challenge makes sense."

All in all I enjoyed the adventure, although we had one player who would take FOREVER on his turns. So I had to leave in the middle of the last encounter.

I will definitely attend the next one.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I wasn't aware it was Gameday. I didn't see anything advertising it in my FLGS, and I guess I missed everything online, too.

I gamed, though. I was at Gary Con II in Lake Geneva. I ran a game of Paranoia 2nd ed. and later played some Star Frontiers. The previous after (the 19th), I played some AD&D 1st. ed. with Frank Mentzer, and it was awesome.

Herschel

Adventurer
I went to the new store "in town" to check that out rather than teh big one where I normally DM. We had four players, I nabbed the Seeker, the Battlemind, monk and Runepriest were the others. We pretty much doubled up on skills for teh skill challenge but oh well. The kid who played the monk wasn't even a regular player. The Runpriest bit it in the final encounter but he was playing a bit kamikaze at that point to see what the rift would do anyway.

From my viewpoint, the Seeker was an absolute blast to play and I continue to be impressed by the Battlemind.

Remove ads