• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D has been cancelled (speculation).

DracoSuave

First Post
That.

The original owners of the M:tG IP is Wizards of the Coast. How does M:tG revert to the original owners? It's still owned by the original owners.

As for Dungeons and Dragons, the original owners of the D&D IP is Tactical Studies Rules, or TSR, Inc. TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast, making Wizards of the Coast, the defacto original owners of THAT IP.

The fact book releases are on hiatus IS disconcerting, and it IS remaniscent of when TSR went for a book-drought... that was due to printing issues (printers have issues with companies that don't pay them). Wizards is still very much in business, and still very much printing money.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From the best that I can see, the sale to Hasbro included a clause that all the IP (including MtG) would revert if D&D fell under a certain amount of releases (most likely four per year).

They let you see the sale documents? Wow!

Who does it revert to, then?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I used to be very like this poster, but then I got a few more xp and I feel much better.

Seriously, there are threads on this on the front page of BOTH general and 4E.

thewok

First Post
I don't believe there is a Dungeons & Dragons license. Licensing is done so that companies who do not own an IP can use an IP for product. Lucasfilm sells licenses for Star Wars, for example, as they don't make toys, board games, etc.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Hasbro bought D&D. They bought Wizards of the Coast, who owns a number of IPs, including D&D. As such, there is no D&D license (as far as the RPG goes; video games and movies are another matter), since the owner of the IP is making the product.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The current WotC release schedule is not a serious effort to publish D&D. From the best that I can see, the sale to Hasbro included a clause that all the IP (including MtG) would revert if D&D fell under a certain amount of releases (most likely four per year). WotC also printed up enough copies of a definable core game (the essentials line) to keep the core technically "in print" for the definable future.

They also changed DDI so that you have a reason to continue paying for it, even if only a few new products are added each year.

Face it, WotC has canceled their mini's line, their Star Wars license and HeroScape. They've also cut out monthly DDI compilations. The company is completely our of the RPG business except for a few legacy releases. Legacy publishing might be enough to keep the gaming going, but I suspect that the player base is going to slowly fade away over the next two or three years.

Man-up, we're going digital, have you not heard?

Goonalan

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It wouldn't be enworld without one of these threads somewhere on page 1 :p

I remember when it wasn't like that. Those were the golden days of DnD forums. Everyone was happy. People politely discussed thier characters, their games, thier ideas and thier dreams. A cancer has crept into the forums and turned them into twisted versions of thier former selves. I blame Orcus personally.

caudor

Adventurer
I remember when it wasn't like that. Those were the golden days of DnD forums. Everyone was happy. People politely discussed thier characters, their games, thier ideas and thier dreams. A cancer has crept into the forums and turned them into twisted versions of thier former selves. I blame Orcus personally.

It wasn't Orcus, it was Vecna. But I can't tell you this because it is all top secret. I'm dead. :heh:

xechnao

First Post
Tell you what.

If, from now on Wotc won't issue some kind of monthly print periodical (be it a magazine, be it some kind of supplement) to assure a minimum of relevant D&D presence in the real world, well the OP has a point.

OchreJelly

First Post

Come now, sir. This is the internet! :) There's always someone unhappy. When was this golden age exactly? These ages must happen deep within the recesses of time between editions.

We'll always have Pun Pun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads