• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

This seems more like something you want them to do, rather than something they need to do. I can even see where some creators would get complaints from their D&D-centric base if they devoted more time to discussing alternatives that might improve or even replace D&D, which could rightly be interpreted as saying you should go spend money on This Other Cool Thing That My Channel Is Not About. Granted, there are better things out there and many mechanics that could be cribbed to improve D&D regardless of edition - but there are also plenty of people who don't want to hear about them in a D&D-focused vid. Each creator needs to make their own mind up about whether their crowd wants a more varied message or not, and if you want to push for change you need to contact them, not talk about it on a forum.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So, I want to make this clear: if your job, that you have decided for yourself, is to tell people how to D&D better, then doing your job well absolutely requires you acknowledging the decades of development in the RPG space, both within and outside D&D.

Nothing inspires less confidence than an "influencer" actively telling you that they have been running D&D for 5 years and they have it all figured out. (Note: I am NOT saying GinniD does that.)

My thesis for this thread is simple and right on the tin: if you want to give advice on how to GM good, look at the whole scope of GMing, from Elusive Shift to Apocalypse World.

Two of the biggest RPG content creators out there - the Matts Coleville and Mercer - are actively making their own games right now and talking about their design choices. Ditto with Dungeon Coach. DM's Lair switched to PF2 a while back as did Rules Lawyer. @SlyFlourish talks about Shadowdark all the time. Bob World Builder recently had a video specifically featuring non-D&D games. Seth Skorkowsky mostly talks about CoC and Traveler. The Alexandrian talks about tons of different systems. These are examples I can come up with off the top of my head. So I think you sample size of one video from one creator is not necessarily representative of "YouTube influencers be like..." (sorry, I may have watched too many YouTube influencers!)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Does she play FATE? Chances are that, unless she has already brought it up, that she doesn't. If I was a content creator on youtube and was making something similar, I also wouldn't mention it, more out of ignorance than anything else.

I also feel like content creators that focus on DnD, focus on DnD not really exploring other systems to report on, they have their niche. If they were a more general RPG content creator then I'd expect them to report more on other systems.

Remove ads