• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Insider Character Builder Open Beta live

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Downloaded and it's looking good!

I'd been glancing at the stuff from Martial Power via the Compendium before, but it's great to have it there all laid out whilst creating a character.

The final version is going to absolutely rock.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Drat... I'm sure it's the best way to do it, but still I wish it was entirely on the web. I can't install it on my work laptop, which means when I travel on business and have downtime I can't use that downtime to make characters with the program. :p

Still, the program is awesome. Keep it up! (please) :D

Burn it to CD or to a Flash Drive.
It's how I run a lot of stuff through work computers.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Anyone noticing performance problems after running this should check their processes and kill PresentationFontCache.exe if it was not already running. This thing does not get removed form the process list when the program closes and can suck up processor resources to just sit there.

hopeless

Adventurer
Anyone having problems equipping weapons and especially holy symbols?
At present holy symbols seem to only register when they're held and only in the main hand...
Noticed the problem with the first page and the skills, but it reveal something i overlooked so, so far so good.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I already deleted it due to how bad a "program" it is, and even worse attempt at a beta when you can barely test any of the higher level [meaning code wise not D&D wise per say] functions.

It needed to be all levels of the core to test to make sure those things worked in a beta test and then you can add the other stuff later just like MMO beta test have the basic system and all the added things build onto it, but 4th edition doesn't work the same way through as just with the first 3 levels.

For the weapons you can equip some by selecting the slot you want to put them and choosing something from the drop-down, but I didn't go into it thoroughly because of the before mentioned problems.

Another big problem is that when you have to type in your scores from rolling, these are the adjusted scores for race, so if you forget to adjust your scores for race you are screwed and lose those racial bonuses to scores.

Also the damn news screen loading from internet explorer rather than loading the webpage directly into the program. Character Builder Message Window

Why not just a text file or XML file locally that gives you the latest news from your last update?

This thing just keeps getting worse. Having to choose languages and such before you ever get to ability scores... WTF?

It also needs a way to turn splat books off. I mean if you don't own MotP then maybe you don't want that set of data to load to be in the way and only want the books you own to load. It will still be "official" even if you choose not to use MotP....

This is junk. I acts just like an MMO character creator, and visualizer and linking it to Game Table will make it even more so.

Back to the drawing board.

And the dang thing doesn't even clean up its processes when done it leaves a few running that shouldn't be.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
This is junk. I acts just like an MMO character creator, and visualizer and linking it to Game Table will make it even more so.

Back to the drawing board.

And the dang thing doesn't even clean up its processes when done it leaves a few running that shouldn't be.

So how do you really feel? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads