D&D Insider: Losing your toys

Scribble

First Post
Despite the fact that I use Google Docs a lot, I'm really not comfortable with the idea of that becoming the dominant form of computing. In particular, if I were not a student but worked at a real business, I wouldn't use Google Docs because then I'm trusting them to secure my data...

I think it's just because WP programs have never really used that style before, so the change seems like a crazy one. Businesses, however, already use a lot of cloud computing stuff already.

Especially things involving customer service. A lot of the big CS applications are hosted by an off site company.

I agree though, I doubt any business would use Google docs, but they might use Google Docs "Pro" or soemthing where they pay money to use the service, and Google guarantees none of the documents will be lost, stolen, or damaged. (Which is how the other stuff works.)

Mercutio01

First Post
My point wasn't a plug for Google Docs, but rather pointing to it as an example of what is to come. I fully expect to see things like secret servers for a cloud-computing document suite, which allows access to specific information based on the login code you input. Say I'm a CEO, I'm entitled to read everything, but the 18-year=old file clerk on his first day has a lower security clearance. His login determines what information within the cloud is accessible.

(Note - I'm just flailing at the wind here and giving impressions. Without a technological bone in my body, I have no idea how hard it would be to enact such a thing.)

Scribble

First Post
(Note - I'm just flailing at the wind here and giving impressions. Without a technological bone in my body, I have no idea how hard it would be to enact such a thing.)

Not that hard at all.

For instance my company uses a program called Rosetta. It's a system that houses contact info, benefits info, member info, documents, as well as CS interactions.

I'm in account management so I has access to just about everything in the system.

Someone in CS, however, only has access to some of the stuff, like benefits and member info, as well as the ability to enter CS interactions.

They can't look at stuff like member usage reports, high level HR contacts, sales opportunities available, etc.. It won't even appear as an option on their screen.

jgsugden

Legend
The Character Builder searches for updates automatically. If one is available, it lets you know.

It would not be difficult for it to search and see if you are still an insider member, and remove functionality if you are not - and it could do so anytime you're hooked up to the internet and the CB is activated.

I don't know if the system will do this, but it is a possiblity...

We'll find out soon enough, I wager, as some people only signed up for a few months of insider, and I imagine some people will be leaving the insider soon due to the economy.

However, if you move a copy of the CB to a system that doesn't go online - ever - you're probably pretty safe in terms of maintaining what you have.

Remove ads