D&D General d&d is anti-medieval

I wondered at times back in my DM days if you could have an actual medieval type place, if there was a kingdom in a big magic-dead zone; no mages, no spell-wielding clerics, no magical monsters/outer planar critters, etc. It later occurred to me that while peasants would love such a place, the higher ups wouldn't, and would constantly be leaving the place to get magical healing, etc....

I don't think the pesants would be too good off from it either. Without clerical magic famine and plague come back in force.

It's a gateway to waking up with a hangover in a sleazy motel 6 in Waterdeep next to a dead Gnome Paladin. Well, more than it is a gateway to any version of the Middle Ages I recognize, outside the pages of Le Morte d'Arthur anyway.

What I mean is, it is often something that piques peoples' interest in the middle ages. My first introductions to fantasy and medieval concepts were seeing Excalibur as a kid, and playing D&D. Those are not strictly medieval, but because of them, I went on to learn about the middle ages and take as many Medieval history courses as I could for electives when I went to college. And I know plenty of people who got interested in the middle ages through D&D but went on to delve real deep into learning about the period.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I was mostly being sarcastic. My interest in the middle ages and my interest in fantasy fiction have always gone hand in hand, and the teleos of that pairing ended up looking much like yours except I did a whole degree in Medieval Studies. Yay for higher education prompted by Keep on the Borderlands.:p

Remove ads