• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is NOT fireball casting characters fighting kobolds

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Oh, and here I was looking for a thread bemoaning the current trend of fireballs being the baseline for wizard discussions.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the older editions, where a single adventurer was not a one-man kobold-killing army. Stabilizing the growth of AC and HP would do much to curb the power of PCs and make them think twice about their actions.

As someone well versed in older editions, I can say that an OD&D or AD&D mid to high level fighting man WAS actually a one man kobold killing army.

Kobolds were < 1 HD and thus the fighter got one attack per round per level of experience against such creatures.

The kobolds rush him, he kills every one within reach in 1 round. Repeat.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
D&D is NOT fireball casting characters fighting kobolds. TRUE.

D&D IS lightning bolt bouncing characters tracking angles to catch all the kobolds in the bolt.

(I kid I kid...)

S

Sunseeker

Kobolds have their place in the game, but I don't think they should be alwas relegated to low-level threats. In a head-on fight? Yeah, kobolds lose. Get some clever kobolds? It doesn't matter if they have 1 hp or 100.

4 clever, tactical enemies of any threat level are much more interesting than 400 bum-rush hordes.

Uller

Adventurer
You're right -- D&D is hordes of kobolds overbearing fireball-casting wizards!

Being too lazy to walk down to my basement to dig out out my blue box basic set game manual I'll just ask...

Didn't it have a picture where a fighter and wizard are about to get overwhelmed by a horde of orcs? I bet the opening round of that fight involves a few dozen orcs being dropped by an AoE of some sort.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I just wanted to point this out as a benchmark of what D&D should feel like.

Fireballing hordes of these guys at this level just doesn't feel like D&D. :p
Er...yes it does; round here anyway. :)

Why, you ask? Because we've done it - in a 1e game a long time ago a patrol of half a dozen goblins (probably about 2-4 h.p. each) spotted us and took off, we didn't want them getting back to base to report our presence so we had to take 'em out - archery would be too slow, and the lowest-damage spell we had available was an 8-dice fireball. So we let 'em have it...

Lan-"that party came by its nickname of 'Team Overkill' for a good reason"-efan

satori01

First Post
I just wanted to point this out as a benchmark of what D&D should feel like.

What are a bunch of 5th + level characters doing burning up insignificant little 1-4 hp kobolds.

These PCs should be seeing a therapist to help them with their inadequacy issues.

The little buggers wouldn't have any treasure worth the while anyway.

Fireballing hordes of these guys at this level just doesn't feel like D&D. :p

Would you apply the logic of this sentiment to 4E?

After all characters of all levels, even Epic levels are routinely expected to fight creatures of just a single HP (Minnions). Should all characters in 4e see a therapist for THEIR inadequacy?

The concept of "Zerg" existed before the nomenclature.

Er...yes it does; round here anyway. :)

Subtle humor and D&D don't mix well it seems. ;)

Should all characters in 4e see a therapist for THEIR inadequacy?

Oh yes for certain! We need to haul every man-jack of them in right now, and have them lying on the couch so we can untangle all their superman complexes and feelings of paranoia. They all feel conviced that everyone else in the universe has no other purpose but to steal their thunder so they jealously guard themselves at all times.

A fascinating lot to be sure. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads