D&D General D&D, magic, and the mundane medieval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While that’s technically true, we know common magic items are meant to be common, and things like healing potions are readily available, so it’s hardly a stretch.

So, the difference being we have rules in Xanathar's for how anyone with the Herbalist kit proficiency can create potions of healing.

And I didn't say it was a stretch.

When doing analysis, there is a difference between what comes out of strict reading of the rules, and what comes out of what seems like "reasonable extensions" of the text. The bit of figuring out what a cantrip can do on a farm is a pretty strict reading of the text, it is a consequence that falls right out of the RaW.

Positing those same 1st level mages making magic items to do the work is not strictly a result of the rules, per se. Quite reasonable for a setting, but it doesn't just fall out of the rules.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's not what I'm referring to.

This is what I'm referring to!

Well, the thing I posted is fascinating, regardless.

And, given that both of them showed up on the first page of the same google search for "Russian Lord of the Rings" I believe my point stands.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The modern assumption is that PCs are not only special but so extraordinary that just because the PC halflings are all lucky, you can’t assume that all halflings are lucky!

If it isn’t clear, I’m not fond of this.
Nor I. PC are special by what they do in the game, not some nebulous quality of heroism.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, the difference being we have rules in Xanathar's for how anyone with the Herbalist kit proficiency can create potions of healing.

And I didn't say it was a stretch.

When doing analysis, there is a difference between what comes out of strict reading of the rules, and what comes out of what seems like "reasonable extensions" of the text. The bit of figuring out what a cantrip can do on a farm is a pretty strict reading of the text, it is a consequence that falls right out of the RaW.

Positing those same 1st level mages making magic items to do the work is not strictly a result of the rules, per se. Quite reasonable for a setting, but it doesn't just fall out of the rules.
We do have rules for creating magic items, they’re just optional and the specifics of designing new ones is very DM fiat powered.

Or any human character created using the Tasha rules for variant humans could take Magic Initiate-Wizard to get the cantrips plus a 1st level spell at 1st level. Give them some totally unimpressive "peasant" npc class but have that one feat to be a farm mage. Make a "School of the Dirt Mage" background and Bob's your uncle.

Also in TCoE are the Sidekick Spellcaster. At 1st level they have 2 cantrips and all variants have access to mold earth. Also plausible Farm Mages.

All said and done, I would think the farmmage would occur in numbers analogous to wizards/sorcerors/bards given that they have a tiny fraction of the power/training/aptitude of those people but use the same source. If your fantasy city has twenty wizards, twenty sorcerors and twenty bards (of any/all levels), I would be stunned if there were not dozens of farm mages (all level 1) scattered through the city and the surroundings, especially if you use TCoE

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or any human character created using the Tasha rules for variant humans could take Magic Initiate-Wizard to get the cantrips plus a 1st level spell at 1st level. Give them some totally unimpressive "peasant" npc class but have that one feat to be a farm mage. Make a "School of the Dirt Mage" background and Bob's your uncle.

Also in TCoE are the Sidekick Spellcaster. At 1st level they have 2 cantrips and all variants have access to mold earth. Also plausible Farm Mages.

All said and done, I would think the farmmage would occur in numbers analogous to wizards/sorcerors/bards given that they have a tiny fraction of the power/training/aptitude of those people but use the same source. If your fantasy city has twenty wizards, twenty sorcerors and twenty bards (of any/all levels), I would be stunned if there were not dozens of farm mages (all level 1) scattered through the city and the surroundings, especially if you use TCoE
So basically, Eberron. Works for me.

Ixal

Hero
D&D pretty much ignores the religious aspect, with it being polytheistic and very eligitarian (in general), even though religion had a gigantic effect on western medieval and renaissance history. Especially for Europe the effect of having one person in power of a religion (the pope) shaped politics a lot.

As for nobility, as you mentioned D&D and also many other fantasy settings, ignore it. Or rather, their idea of nobility is similar to a disney movie. You have a king, queen, their direct children as princes and princesses and maybe another noble with undefined power and responsibility as required, mostly as BBEG (or BNGG, Big Nice Good Guy, in case the king is evil).

But an actual feudal structure? Nobles with their own domains and especially responsibilities attached to their titles? No.
And also every noble (and their spouse) are insular, meaning there is no connection between them. Intermarriage between noble dynasties? Or having dynasties that span multiple noble titles in general? Again no. You hardly find anything like the Habsburgs in fantasy settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases