D&D 5E D&D Magic the Gathering alternate magic system

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I do think summoning spells would be important for an MTG RPG, I don’t think they would necessarily need to be super prominent. Summoning creatures is a big part of the gameplay, but in the novels, comics, etc. it’s not really that much of a thing. It happens - Garruk likes to summon beasts, Leliana raises undead minions, etc. but nothing beyond what you I might expect from a druid or a necromancer in D&D. Players in a game of magic are more comparable to pre-Mending Planeswalkers, who were practically gods, but the post-mending walkers who are the main characters of the storyline don’t really fight with armies of summoned creatures. They’re much more like regular, albeit gifted, Mages who can also Planeswalk.
In general, I would be looking at summoning cards as something to use to populate an alternate Monster Manual, not as a alternate spell list. I also think there's a big difference between "I want to play the MtG setting using D&D as the engine" and "I want to play D&D using the MtG color wheel as an inspiration for a new magic system." As someone who likes the aesthetics of MtG but hasn't played it in decades, I find the latter far more compelling than the former.

With this post, I'm particularly trying to use inspiration from Magic the Gathering to make an alternate list of D&D spells.

Happy for you to talk about other systems (I have played and run others). But I'm (for my own interest) going to populate 5 spell lists under d&d5e design.

It looks like summons will be the tricky part that ill need to think on, as well as cards that interact with deck draws/graveyards or mana/land. In most cases I simply won't use these spells, for others I might need to modify them heavily.

Are there any cards for any of you that are iconic? Looking over the lists again remind me why I moved away from magic - too many damned cards!

In general, I would be looking at summoning cards as something to use to populate an alternate Monster Manual, not as a alternate spell list. I also think there's a big difference between "I want to play the MtG setting using D&D as the engine" and "I want to play D&D using the MtG color wheel as an inspiration for a new magic system." As someone who likes the aesthetics of MtG but hasn't played it in decades, I find the latter far more compelling than the former.
Agree! That's where I'm at too

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
With this post, I'm particularly trying to use inspiration from Magic the Gathering to make an alternate list of D&D spells.

Happy for you to talk about other systems (I have played and run others). But I'm (for my own interest) going to populate 5 spell lists under d&d5e design.

It looks like summons will be the tricky part that ill need to think on, as well as cards that interact with deck draws/graveyards or mana/land. In most cases I simply won't use these spells, for others I might need to modify them heavily.

Are there any cards for any of you that are iconic? Looking over the lists again remind me why I moved away from magic - too many damned cards!
Many probably already exist in some form in 5e, but for me, some spells I seem to remember most, probably due to how prevalent they were back when I started playing, are:
Red: lightning bolt, fireball, incinerate, and stone rain.
Black: terror, dark ritual (Those times where you got a 5 cost creature out first turn with two dark rituals were awesome), unholy strength
White: holy strength, healing salve (more an item than a spell)
Green: giant growth, force of nature (summon a plant elemental)
Blue: counter spell, manasink
  • Dark ritual could be an actual ritual where you sacrifice someone, not really a spell for good characters, and then gain some spell slots.
  • Unholy and holy strength could be spells that allow the target to deal additional necrotic/radiant damage while also providing temporary hit points. Essentially the same spell where you choose the damage type when you cast the spell or two separate spells. Unholy strength adds 1d8 necrotic damage to your strikes and temporary hit points; holy strength adds a smaller damage die but more temp hp.
  • Manasink could require the caster of the spell countered to lose an additional spell slot or lose their spell.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This might have already been brought up, but I think when I divided spells into colours I also looked at damage type. I think I came up with the following general guidelines to help me determine which gets what spell. Not sure where I put force effects.

Black: Acid, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic
Blue: Cold, Psychic
Green: Acid, Poison
Red: Fire, Lightning
White: Radiant

I know someone mentioned the new phyrexians and their infect mechanic being essentially poison but I think I ignored that for this division of damage types. Bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage pull end up in any colour depending on the spell. Icestorm is blue but meteor swarm is red for instance.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Out of curiosity, has anyone created something like slivers? I'm thinking of making them with traits that disappear as you kill certain slivers in "encounter" range, that is just the group you're fighting rather than worry about a specific range. In this case, traits would be things like flight, advantage on initiative, +1d6 damage. Nothing that changes the 6 base stats or adds hit points because that could be an administrative nightmare.

I just looked up slivers on gatherer. There are so many of them now! I think they'd make a good challenge for a party of adventurers, would have to make sure to describe the different types so that they can twig onto the fact they're different and start targeting specific creatures.

Last edited:

Aelryinth

Explorer
Out of curiosity, has anyone created something like slivers? I'm thinking of making them with traits that disappear as you kill certain slivers in "encounter" range, that is just the group you're fighting rather than worry about a specific range. In this case, traits would be things like flight, advantage on initiative, +1d6 damage. Nothing that changes the 6 base stats or adds hit points because that could be an administrative nightmare.

I just looked up slivers on gatherer. There are so many of them now! I think they'd make a good challenge for a party of adventurers, would have to make sure to describe the different types so that they can twig onto the fact they're different and start targeting specific creatures.
A related mechanic from 3e comes from the dragonspawn creatures. Tiamat's Blessing let the dragonspawn share its elemental resistances with any other dragonspawn within 5 feet or riding it. Thus a mixed group of dragonspawn could be immune to multiple kinds of elemental energy.

WARNING: Wall of text below. Tl;dr is I have attached a very early draft of a Magic: the Gathering Planeswalker apprentice class and spellbook. This is something I'll be working on every now and then in my spare time. Suggestions welcome.

I've been doing some thinking and playing around this weekend on my approach to creating what I think encapsulates the M:tG "feel" to me. I've attached an early draft. Please excuse the formatting and note that nothing is currently tested for balance yet.

The draft includes a new Apprentice class. This is largely built on the chassis of the Wizard. Inspired by the old school D&D high level player where you could quest to become a deity, I loved the idea that this could be a kind of "prequel" into how beings come to be Planeswalkers. At level 1 the players are imbued with a spark of a specific colour. All of their abilities come from this spark as they level, eventually culminating in the apprentice ascending to becoming a Planeswalker at level 21. If anyone has suggestions for a name other than Apprentice I'd like to hear it, because I've come up empty.

The design of this assumes no multiclassing. And while other classes may be used with it, considering that the goal of this class is to become a near immortal plane shifting eldritch master, it may feel a bit lackluster being anything else. I am going to try and differentiate the sparks enough to feel significantly different. For example, some of the red spells revolve around doing melee damage and is heavily focused on damage in general. White magic on the other hand will have a number of protective and healing spells, etc.

For the class:
  • At level 1, you choose the colour of your Spark. This determines which class features you gain as you level and which school of magic you gain access to.
  • The ability you use for casting spells is defined by your Spark.
  • Subclass abilities have been mostly copied from various wizard subclasses and others are modified or new. These need to be balanced and will be reviewed in time. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
  • Level 18 allows a limited creation of artifacts. The mechanics of which is yet to be determined, but is intended to create temporary artifact. Only Planeswalkers can create permanent artifacts.
  • Level 19 allows for limited duration summoning. The mechanics of which is yet to be determined, but is intended to create temporary summons. Only Planeswalkers can create permanent summons.
  • Level 20 allows for the use of teleportation, shifting planes, and the creation of land of your associated spark color or destruction of lands of different colours. The mechanics have not yet been worked out, but this is intentionally game breaking at this level, as the Apprentice is ready to ascend to becoming a Planeswalker.
For the spells (note @cbwjm - I plan on adding your spell recommendations soon):
  • Red instants mostly done. Red sorceries and enchantments to follow.
  • Sorceries are usually 1 action casting time.
  • Instants may be 1 action, but sometimes will be 1 bonus action or 1 reaction.
  • Enchantments will be 1 action, and will either buff allies or debuff enemies.
  • General rule of thumb for costing is that 1 colour mana = cantrip. Each colour mana after that increases the spell by 2 spell level, and each colourless mana increases the spell level by 1.
  • General rule for damage is inspired by DMG guidelines, but it will need several passes to rebalance once the list is built.
  • Many spells need modification in power or effect to not simply imitate another spell in the deck. The M:tG deck card limit doesn't apply to D&D, so if I am to include a spell, it has to be different enough to warrant inclusion.
A note on creatures: I lost in the thread who mentioned this, so I'm sorry for not giving you credit, but I will design a bestiary at the end with creatures of each colour. These will normally reside in the associated lands (but not always) and will be most likely what is encountered. Each creature will likely also be associated a "level" which can be used for difficulty of encounter as well as interacting with the Level 19 Apprentice ability.

A note on artifacts: I will design a limited magic item compendium based on artifacts. These will be colourless. Each artifact will likely also be associated a "level" which will interact with the Level 18 Apprentice ability.

As with this post, the project is becoming bigger than I intended. However I'm happy to tinker along with it as it's for my own amusement. Please feel free to steal anything from this if you find value in it. I'm also keen to hear peoples feedback and suggestions as I go along and update this. Given the early stages, suggestions will help more than feedback, but all is welcome.

Attachments

• Planeswalker the Spark v0.1.pdf
    719.2 KB · Views: 117

Bupp

Adventurer
I've messed around with ideas like these before, and as I'm sure you discovered, you're basically coming up with a whole new magic system. I've skimmed your PDF, and it does show some promise! Other systems I've seen or tried to develop came out rather clunky.

I've found it's just as enjoyable to play regular D&D with MtG trappings. Use the summon cards as a Monster Manual, otherwise having all your casters summoning creatures to fight for them ends up feeling very Pokemon.

Here's a spell list of the PHB spells divided by color.

I actually prefer to use the colors as an alignment chart.

Here's a great Tumblr creator, who unfortunately hasn't made anything in awhile, but would convert Magic cards to D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases