[D&D Minis] No Orc Raiding Party...

John Crichton

First Post
Wombat said:
I guess that works well...

...assuming you have a FLGS that does that.
Ebay works just as well. By the time the non-randomized packs come out you'll be able to purchase the entire contents of it for about the same price online. Frpgames.com sells them individually as do many other places. The prices are high for rares but if you look around they aren't that hard to find.

This is all about the secondary market. The miniatures have been out for less than 2 months. There will just be more and more of these things flooding out which will make them easier to find. You have to give these things a little time, say 6 months to really start to even out.

For those complaining about these non-randomized packs not coming out: Why has this now moved you to not try and pick up these figures on the secondary market? Do you need them in the packaging? Do you think WotC/Hasbro is out to slight you personally?

As for "player feedback" - these randomized boosters have been selling like crazy, or as someone put in on the WotC boards, like "chocolate covered diamonds sprinkled with crack." Why bother trying to sell something that may not jive with your current market?

Stores can't keep these things in stock. If these theme packs were out now I think they would sell. But if they come out after the second expansion, which is many months after the initial buzz wears off from the launch then they will most likely not sell as well. The people who want these things would have already had the commons and uncommons in the theme pack leaving only the rare which a good number of people will have by then. Sure, there will be a small market for the theme packs but I think it is all about timing of their release. Additionally, they are making tons of money because of the random aspect of these miniatures.

It's a money move, of course. Would you expect something else from a big company?

I would love to see theme packs when they make sense. As it stood now, with all the miniatures I have collected I would have never bought the theme packs they were offering as I would be wasting money on miniatures I already have. I think once some expansions are out and they can combine a few things that we may see themed packs again. That would make more sense, especially if they launch them with a new expansion rather than waiting.

I'll say it again: It's all about the secondary market... :)

Vrylakos

First Post
John Crichton said:
Ebay works just as well. By the time the non-randomized packs come out you'll be able to purchase the entire contents of it for about the same price online. Frpgames.com sells them individually as do many other places. The prices are high for rares but if you look around they aren't that hard to find.

This is all about the secondary market. The miniatures have been out for less than 2 months. There will just be more and more of these things flooding out which will make them easier to find. You have to give these things a little time, say 6 months to really start to even out.

For those complaining about these non-randomized packs not coming out: Why has this now moved you to not try and pick up these figures on the secondary market? Do you need them in the packaging? Do you think WotC/Hasbro is out to slight you personally?

As for "player feedback" - these randomized boosters have been selling like crazy, or as someone put in on the WotC boards, like "chocolate covered diamonds sprinkled with crack." Why bother trying to sell something that may not jive with your current market?

Stores can't keep these things in stock. If these theme packs were out now I think they would sell. But if they come out after the second expansion, which is many months after the initial buzz wears off from the launch then they will most likely not sell as well. The people who want these things would have already had the commons and uncommons in the theme pack leaving only the rare which a good number of people will have by then. Sure, there will be a small market for the theme packs but I think it is all about timing of their release. Additionally, they are making tons of money because of the random aspect of these miniatures.

It's a money move, of course. Would you expect something else from a big company?

I would love to see theme packs when they make sense. As it stood now, with all the miniatures I have collected I would have never bought the theme packs they were offering as I would be wasting money on miniatures I already have. I think once some expansions are out and they can combine a few things that we may see themed packs again. That would make more sense, especially if they launch them with a new expansion rather than waiting.

I'll say it again: It's all about the secondary market... :)
It's convenience. I don't want to track down all that stuff, hope that supplies hold out, etc.

If you dig the collectible aspect, great, more power to you. If you like dealing with online vendors, sounds like it's your lucky day.

If you just wanted to be able to, off the cuff, run into your local store (which has no single D&D minis) and grab an orc raiding party for tonight's game, sounds like WOTC isn't catering to you.

Do I feel it's "personal"? Please...
Should I not write WOTC about it, as I'm "not in their target audience"? I think I've got every right to express my annoyance with this practice.

Vrylakos

JoeGKushner

First Post
Wizard's Response

Dear Sir,

At this time, the market for the D&D Miniatures game is as such, that to produce these limited sets would only serve a small minority of the miniatures market. Our current information regarding the sales of this product indicate that it is vastly more popular in its current form, and the secondary market for our miniatures has been a more than adequate source of stray miniatures. As such, we cannot justify producing sets of such limited scope, especially when online auction sites can offer these same miniatures at a price that negates the need for these sets.

DanMcS

Explorer
I'm fine with this. I don't bother with miniatures much, but wizards' plan always was to pull this "collectable" stunt with these. If that's working for them, great, because the longer they're making money on these cheap plastic jobbies, the longer they can push back re-revising the rules and calling it "3.75" to generate another burst of hardback sales.

KnowTheToe

First Post
That is too bad. I wish they didn't change their mind, but life goes on. I want to start a midnight game and need tougher looking orcs anyway.

7thlvlDM

Explorer
Popularcollections.com is an internet site, not an local game store, so it's available to all. I'm sure there are other internet sellers that sell singles as well.

Wombat said:
I guess that works well...

...assuming you have a FLGS that does that.

There are essentially two games stores (well, three, but one is really small and one is more of a general board game and jigsaw puzzles) stores near me. None of them have "open stock" from the packs. Only one sells any "open stock" of ccgs, and that is in very limited amounts.

So this possibility is not even an option here.

Glad you can get the benefit, though, 7th :)

John Crichton

First Post
Vrylakos said:
It's convenience. I don't want to track down all that stuff, hope that supplies hold out, etc.

If you dig the collectible aspect, great, more power to you. If you like dealing with online vendors, sounds like it's your lucky day.

If you just wanted to be able to, off the cuff, run into your local store (which has no single D&D minis) and grab an orc raiding party for tonight's game, sounds like WOTC isn't catering to you.

Do I feel it's "personal"? Please...
Should I not write WOTC about it, as I'm "not in their target audience"? I think I've got every right to express my annoyance with this practice.
I never said to not express an opinion or complain to the company, I was just asking. Many people do take these things personally. I never targeted anyone which is why I threw a few option out there.

I'm sure if enough people complained about this product's cancellation that they would revisit releasing them. My point was that there are other ways of purchasing exactly what would be in the theme packs.

If your main complaint is that you want to be able to, on a whim, go to a store and pick up a theme pack, knowing exactly what you will get - well you won't be able to get one from WotC at the moment but there are other miniatures you can do that with. It'll just cost you more and you will most likely have to paint them.

And if you want an orc raiding party really quickly? Wait a few months and see how many extra orcs are sitting around that you can buy both online and off at a very low price. It won't be available to everyone because of the nature of the local FLGS but neither will each of these store carry, or have in stock when you need them the now cancelled theme packs.

And I do understand that not everyone is comfy with ebay or purchasing these things online, but the option is there and the prices can only go down.

To have no confusion: If you feel strongly about this please do contact WotC and voice your opinion. I would like to see this line do well in all forms (random and non-randomized packaging) as I have no time for painting miniatures and love having the ability to plop down a small army that looks good if I want to without breaking the bank. :)

Anyone know if they will still gonna have the set of fiends, or are they just cancelling the mentioned boxes: Orc War Party and Outlaw War Party? This is one product I just might buy...

..............you can never have enough fiends....................

Toe -- for Orcs, I'm partial to the Rackham/Confrontation flavors myself. Even if their legs are a bit small. We can't all be perfectly proportioned goblinoids, ya know!

Attachments

• rackhamorc.jpg
    rackhamorc.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 101

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
They are just cancelling the War Party sets. Archfiends is still coming out.

What I hope is that they've looked at the contents of the War Party sets, realised that they're inadequate to what people want, and will do a similar constructed set with better contents down the line.

I think that is quite likely.

Cheers!

Remove ads