• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Monopoly

imagineGod

Legend
I reflect the Zeitgeist in any forum I visit.

Usually I just post information about games I like. There are thematic variants of Monopoly I found amusing which I could even share.

There are however some who think online forums are rallies to gain consensus. That never works. The whole world is too polarized for any consensus. The big companies like Wizards of the Coast stopped placing value on their own forum years ago, during the 4th Edition outrage and shut it down.

TheSword

Legend
I reflect the Zeitgeist in any forum I visit.

Usually I just post information about games I like. There are thematic variants of Monopoly I found amusing which I could even share.

There are however some who think online forums are rallies to gain consensus. That never works. The whole world is too polarized for any consensus. The big companies like Wizards of the Coast stopped placing value on their own forum years ago, during the 4th Edition outrage and shut it down.
I find myself arguing until blue in the face with some people them agreeing with them and finding their posts great the next week. That’s a good think I think. We have more in common than we sometimes think.

It’s ok to be polarized in an opinion. I think these boards do a pretty good job in not being polarized by faction. In fact there is very little factionalism on the boards aside from a little friendly edition warring between friends.

I think it’s always best practice to assume no offense is intended in someone’s posts, and then be honest if something has caused you offense. If it’s with one person my preference is to direct message them to sort it out. I find that tends to de-escalate things pretty rapidly.

Orius

Legend
I just came here for the usual Monopoly bashing comments. I was not disappointed.

Of course it's not a fun game. It was ripped off a game which was all about teaching how economic monopolies, particularly through the control of land end up crushing everone else. It's supposed to encourage people to adopt the economic views of its creator.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This goes beyond just D&D Monopoly. Every specialized version of Monopoly that I've seen does the same thing. Mixes up the game in all sorts of ways, except for the corner spaces for some reason. I guess they are considered central to the Monopoly experience or brand?
My son's favorite is the non-Hasbro "Fishin' Opoly". It's four corners are "Cast", "Snag!", "Full Stringer" and "Go to Snag".

Looking around, one forum (Late For The Sky -V- Hasbro Monopoly | Board Game Designers Forum.) says that the producer of that version and many others (Late for the Sky) answered if they were licensed by Hasbro with: "We do not have a license agreement with Hasbro. In the early 80's the concept of the game play became public domain. So anyone could make a "property trading" styled game if one did not infringe on the original design of "Monopoly". Please look through our pricing information and contact me with any questions you might have."

A bit further down was some information from USAopoly:
"HASBRO and its logo, the MONOPOLY name and logo, the distinctive design of the game board, the four corner squares, the MR. MONOPOLY name and character, as well as each of the distinctive elements of the board and playing pieces, are trademarks of Hasbro for its property trading game and game equipment, © 1935, 2015 Hasbro. All rights reserved." So it looks like the four corners are particularly special.

Googling around I ran into a recent trademark hubub about Monopoly in the EU, but I haven't had time to read it all.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My son's favorite is the non-Hasbro "Fishin' Opoly". It's four corners are "Cast", "Snag!", "Full Stringer" and "Go to Snag".

Looking around, one forum (Late For The Sky -V- Hasbro Monopoly | Board Game Designers Forum.) says that the producer of that version and many others (Late for the Sky) answered if they were licensed by Hasbro with: "We do not have a license agreement with Hasbro. In the early 80's the concept of the game play became public domain. So anyone could make a "property trading" styled game if one did not infringe on the original design of "Monopoly". Please look through our pricing information and contact me with any questions you might have."

A bit further down was some information from USAopoly:
"HASBRO and its logo, the MONOPOLY name and logo, the distinctive design of the game board, the four corner squares, the MR. MONOPOLY name and character, as well as each of the distinctive elements of the board and playing pieces, are trademarks of Hasbro for its property trading game and game equipment, © 1935, 2015 Hasbro. All rights reserved." So it looks like the four corners are particularly special.

A bit more searching shows there has been a recent trademark hubub about Monopoly in the EU, but I haven't had time to track it down.

Huh. That's interesting. They have to use the four corners or it's not "really" Monopoly.

Remove ads