• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Monopoly

TheSword

Legend
I feel an Ad Populum argument coming on...

šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Seriously i must have been getting it wrong all those times though when I enjoyed monopoly. Iā€™ll try harder to be miserable next time.

The online version is quite good fun too actually against computer opponents... with the added benefit of doing it at your own pace and not offending anyone by crushing them.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I really do not want to encourage Hasbro to keep churning repackaging the same over and over and over.

In addition to it just being lazy and adding no real value, there have been some reskins recently that I've found offensive, like the "Monopaly of Millenials" which comes of more as boomers making fun of millennials than a game that I, as millennial, can identify with.

imagineGod

Legend
My dude, itā€™s quite definitive that Monopoly was invented to teach the ills of capitalism. Just look up ā€œthe landlordā€™s game.ā€

I have no idea how youā€™re getting ā€œbadwrongfunā€ out of what Iā€™m saying...
I asked that you do not quote me to lecture me or geeksplain supposed corrections to my own lived experiences playing Monopoly.

Once again, you quote me and make two unsubstantiated assumptions: you just assumed I do not know the history of the game and you also assumed my gender.

Please do not do that.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I asked that you do not quote me to lecture me or geeksplain your views of own lived experiences playing Monopoly.
Itā€™s not my lived experiences, itā€™s just a well-documented fact about the development of the game.
Once again, you quote me and make two unsubstantiated assumptions: you just assumed I do not know the history of the game and you also assumed my gender.
Please do not do that.
Given that youā€™ve been going on about lived experience with the game, I would hardly say my assumption that you were unfamiliar with its history was unfounded. It may have been inaccurate, but I didnā€™t base it on nothing.

As for assuming your gender, I did not. I actively avoid using gendered pronouns on the internet unless I know the personā€™s preference. ā€œDudeā€ is very commonly used in a gender-neutral way, especially in the context of the colloquialism ā€œmy dude.ā€ However, if you donā€™t want to be referred to as ā€œdude,ā€ I apologize and will refrain from doing so in the future.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
Itā€™s not my lived experiences, itā€™s just a well-documented fact about the development of the game.

Given that youā€™ve been going on about lived experience with the game, I would hardly say my assumption that you were unfamiliar with its history was unfounded. It may have been inaccurate, but I didnā€™t base it on nothing.

As for assuming your gender, I did not. I actively about using gendered pronouns on the internet unless I know the personā€™s preference. ā€œDudeā€ is very commonly used in a gender-neutral way, especially in the context of the colloquialism ā€œmy dude.ā€ However, if you donā€™t want to be referred to as ā€œdude,ā€ I apologize and will refrain from doing so in the future.
Dude is you assuming I am fine with "dude" and I am not. Many people are but many are not. You just assumed to use dude based on your lived experiences and assigned same to me. My is also a possessive term. My books. Please do not do that.

And you quote me again, when I said please do not quote me to lecture me..

You need to first respect my lived experiences with how Monopoly came across to me, which is what I mentioned in my first comment. It is very disrespectful to quote me and suggest I need to do more reading when you are not a mind reader and do not know my own lived experiences or knowledge base.

Please stop doing that.

imagineGod

Legend
Someone can post a link to the history of Monopoly. That is very helpful, informative and respectful of general knowledge and equality.

Quoting people to correct them is a manifestation of power dynamics based on assumptions that others may be ignorant. That is not helpful.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dude is you assuming I am fine with "dude" and I am not. Many people are but many are not. You just assumed to use dude based on your lived experiences and assigned same to me.
Right, for which I again apologize and will refrain from doing in the future.
My is also a possessive term. My books. Please do not do that.
As you wish.
And you quote me again, when I said please do not quote me to lecture me..

You need to first respect my lived experiences with how Monopoly came across to me, which is what I mentioned in my first comment. It is very disrespectful to quote me and suggest I need to do more reading when you are not a mind reader and do not know my own lived experiences or knowledge base.

Please stop doing that.
Friend, Iā€™m not trying to tell you your lived experiences with monopoly are wrong. You found it to be a selfish game, and thatā€™s valid. I was just sharing a factoid about the gameā€™s development. Iā€™m not lecturing anybody. I apologize if I upset you by quoting you, but if you donā€™t like being quoted in posts with explanatory information that use your own comments as a jumping off point, I donā€™t imagine online forums are going to be a pleasant experience for you.

imagineGod

Legend
Right, for which I again apologize and will refrain from doing in the future.

As you wish.

Friend, Iā€™m not trying to tell you your lived experiences with monopoly are wrong. You found it to be a selfish game, and thatā€™s valid. I was just sharing a factoid about the gameā€™s development. Iā€™m not lecturing anybody. I apologize if I upset you by quoting you, but if you donā€™t like being quoted in posts with explanatory information that use your own comments as a jumping off point, I donā€™t imagine online forums are going to be a pleasant experience for you.
Pleasant people make online forums pleasant. And mutual respect works best by not making things personal, usually avoiding targeted verbal combat that plays to the crowd, and even not scoring points with put downs to gain likes by groupies.

Someone just posted an informative article for all.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
1622395674096.png

Remove ads