D&D General D&D monsters that have been changed the most over time

Black Dougal

Footpad
D&D has a long history and over those years monsters have come and gone. Some monsters have been reskinned, from minor makeovers to being completely reworked. I figured maybe we could all pitch in on "what monsters have changed the most over the years". Change = game rules mechanics (crunch) or just flavor (fluff). I'm totally curious really and figured it might be a nice rabbit hole to visit.

For example, the Gnoll. Originally in the White Box D&D Rules (1974), the Gnoll was described as a "gnome meets a troll". I've only been obsessed with this game for 30 years and never figured out Gnoll = (Gn)ome + Tr(oll). The Gnoll didn't become the demon-worshipping hyena humanoid until AD&D Monster Manual (1977). To me, Gnolls are iconic D&D and I had no idea originally they were totally different. I think I like the change, although now I feel inspired to create some sort of gnometroll as well, I figure "why not both?".

Water weirds started out as watery, snakelike elementals bound to pools of water. They eventually got an association with nereids in 2E, which apparently inspired the 3E take on the water weird itself being a nereid-like figure with counterparts among the other three primary elements (I seem to recall some source that presented the classic, serpentine water weird as the immature version, but I can't recall where that would have been off the top of my head). They didn't appear in 4E, but returned in 5E in snake form.

waterkin.gif
aeweirds.jpg
Waterweird.jpg

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Off the top of my head...

Virtually any "irredeemably evil" creature. Demons, Devils, Daemons, Undead, Dao, Azer, most Giants, Quicklings, etc. Creatures that have been out right EVIL incarnate since they were first thought up by superstitious folks hundreds or thousands of years ago. Over the decades we've seen a sharp decline in the "Yup...it's undead...kill it" to "Yup...it's undead... but lets talk to it. It might be friendly...". There WERE exceptions, but they were not 'evil' to begin with (ex: Fiend Folio's "Crypt Thing"; they are Neutral). But now? "Oh, he's a Lich... but he's not evil", or "She's a Vampire... but she's a good vampire", etc.

But, if we are talking "changes of looks and general stuff over the years/decades"... I think Bugbears are up there. Originally they were tall hairy, thin creatures with Jack-o-Lantern heads! Then, just big, dark-hair critters with big yellow eyes. Then, big dark-hair critters with big eyes who were good at hiding in shadows. Now... multi-coloured semi-hairy critters with beady eyes and huge muscles. ... o_O ...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The susurrus, though obscure, is a good one. In the 1e Fiend Folio it's a creature with an exoskeleton that's honeycombed with hole. The 2e version looks like it's made of bamboo. In 3e it is composed of crystal. I don't think it has appeared since then.
wasnt there also a spider Sussurus at some point, the plant form made sense to me, the crystaline form is weird.

and yeah I prefer the rat-dog kobold and the pig nosed Orc

Black Dougal

Footpad
The susurrus, though obscure, is a good one. In the 1e Fiend Folio it's a creature with an exoskeleton that's honeycombed with hole. The 2e version looks like it's made of bamboo. In 3e it is composed of crystal. I don't think it has appeared since then.
I recall them from FF. I'll have to refresh my memory on later versions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases