D&D General D&D monsters that have been changed the most over time

Yora

Legend
This is the third edition sussurus.
sussurus3.jpg

Yora

Legend
It's the one from the Fiend Folio or Monster Manual 3, though. (Forgot which one.)

One of the first monsters I noticed having changed significantly was the Morkoth.

In first edition, it was a... I don't know.
In second edition, it turned into... something else?
And in third edition, it turned into... a fish-thing?
morkoth.jpg

morkoth2.jpg

morkoth3.jpg

Thunder Brother

God Learner
For example, the Gnoll. Originally in the White Box D&D Rules (1974), the Gnoll was described as a "gnome meets a troll". I've only been obsessed with this game for 30 years and never figured out Gnoll = (Gn)ome + Tr(oll). The Gnoll didn't become the demon-worshipping hyena humanoid until AD&D Monster Manual (1977). To me, Gnolls are iconic D&D and I had no idea originally they were totally different. I think I like the change, although now I feel inspired to create some sort of gnometroll as well, I figure "why not both?".
I honestly had no idea that was the origin of the name, holy cow.

Speaking of cows (nailed that transition), less of a monster and more of a changing character option, but the evolution of the Firbolg has been interesting.

We went from big and hairy barbarian types
Firbolg2e.gif

To (still big) fey-like nature lovers
Firbolg-5e.jpg

And now most recently from Critical Role we have... cowpeople?
firbolgs.png

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I honestly had no idea that was the origin of the name, holy cow.

Speaking of cows (nailed that transition), less of a monster and more of a changing character option, but the evolution of the Firbolg has been interesting.

We went from big and hairy barbarian types
View attachment 139644

To (still big) fey-like nature lovers
View attachment 139645

And now most recently from Critical Role we have... cowpeople?
View attachment 139646
so giant fae minotaurs?
The flying frisbee flumph went from something stupid and useless to, well, the same now.. One monster we never encountered.
View attachment 139647View attachment 139648
flumphs are too cool to die or change.

Stupid kobolds becoming draconic.
When did it actually happen? When I started D&D, kobolds were like, goblins, if goblins were too hardcore/dangerous for you.

The first time I really came across the idea that they were really associated with dragons was Dragon Mountain, in 1993, but it seemed like it wasn't an entirely new concept then. And the Monstrous Manual from the same year (both this and Dragon Mountain illustrated in part by the incredible DiTerlizzi, offering us both flat-faced and ratlike visions of kobolds) doesn't mention dragons.

Yet by 3E, kobolds are solidly little dragon-people.

Remove ads