D&D General D&D monsters that have been changed the most over time

Voadam

Legend
Poor halflings in 1E; they had a pretty terrible time. If it wasn’t the bulette it was the ankheg.
Another who got significant changes.

Even before taking into account campaign specific variants like Kender on Krynn, cannibal elder race on Dark Sun, and dinosaur riders of Eberron, they have changed a bunch over time.

First they were Hobbits who quickly lost their name to infringement claims. They were sometimes tubby, sometimes slim. Sometimes round eared sometimes pointy eared. Their actual height varied significantly across editions. They were often Hobbitish fantasy English farmers but 4th turned them into river nomads more like Romani. Sometimes they are good at hiding and ranged weapons, some editions they are inherently lucky.

GuyBoy

Hero
One more early kobold picture from 1e Deities and Demigods

View attachment 140033
"Kurtulmak appears as a giant kobold (5 1/2' tall) with scales of steel and a tail with a poisonous stinger"

Face is a bit more monkey like than dog like, particularly with the tail. Strong scales again in 1e.

The wyvern-like tail is a nice tie in to the later 3e dragon article when he gets associated with evil dragons.
I wonder if the “move” to mini-dragon people, often in service to dragons, came from the Dragon Mountain boxed set?

Voadam

Legend
Halflings across the Players Handbooks

5e "Stout," 3' tall, 40-45 pounds.

1625693104874.png

4e PH
"Proportioned like human adults" 4' 75-85 pounds

1625693294971.png

3.5 PH
3' tall 30-35 pounds
1625693521712.png

2e PH
"Short, generally plump" 2'8"-4' 53-72 pounds.
1625693994536.png

1e PH
"very much like small humans"
3' tall 60 pounds (DMG)
1625694443995.png

D&D Rules Cyclopedia (Basic)
"A halfling is a short demihuman, and looks much like a human child with slightly pointed ears."
3' tall, 60 pounds

1625695577525.png

Moldvay Basic (B/X)
3' tall, 60 pounds
1625694760917.png

OD&D I could not find a physical description or picture.

Chainmail:

"These little chaps"

Last edited:

I always thought the change to become reptile happened to Kobolds because of one artist/designer looking at an old black and white picture from an earlier edition and misstook the scale armor the Kobold wore on this picture for the Kobold actually having scales
They are described as having scales and laying eggs in the 1e MM

Richards

Legend
That is an ophidian.

Yes, I'm well aware that's an ophidian I posted. I was comparing it to the image that Tonguez had linked to in post #119, which he thought looked like a kobold. My argument was the creature in Tonguez's post looked more like an ophidian to me, and so I posted an ophidian picture to back up my claims.

Johnathan

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes, I'm well aware that's an ophidian I posted. I was comparing it to the image that Tonguez had linked to in post #119, which he thought looked like a kobold. My argument was the creature in Tonguez's post looked more like an ophidian to me, and so I posted an ophidian picture to back up my claims.

Johnathan
Ah. Sorry; my mistake.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases