D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'. “Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little...

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I wonder if the insane negativity in this thread is a kind of proactive defense for if the movie isn't to everyone's liking.

I guess it's a lot easier to say, "See? I told you it would be bad!" than "Oh well, I was hoping it would be good."

Everything I've heard about the movie so far at least sounds like fun. If it's a bomb, it's a bomb, but I'm surprised by how many folks actively seem to be looking for evidence that it will be a bad movie.

Stormonu

Legend
Couching my expectations - we didn't exactly get a winner with the last three rounds of D&D movies (or the Dragonlance cartoon movie), so hopes are not high when off that bat they start talking about the comedy.

Mezuka

Hero
He looks and sounds very tired. Not a very good clip. Maybe it's the post filming fatigue or post drinking the night before fatigue.

I'll judge it when I see it.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if the insane negativity in this thread is a kind of proactive defense for if the movie isn't to everyone's liking.

I guess it's a lot easier to say, "See? I told you it would be bad!" than "Oh well, I was hoping it would be good."

Everything I've heard about the movie so far at least sounds like fun. If it's a bomb, it's a bomb, but I'm surprised by how many folks actively seem to be looking for evidence that it will be a bad movie.
I'm looking forward to it. Talented writers and directors who not only have actual D&D chops they have actual big hits under their belts. And on top of that, a talented cast.

Is a hit guaranteed? Of course not, but chances are it will be good, I doubt it will truly stink (like some previous attempts).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Game of Thrones seems out of place among that list of influences, but I would guess it’s only there because it’s a name the press will recognize as “successful fantasy IP.” Otherwise, sounds like a fun time, which I think is the best that we could reasonably hope for.

Remove ads

Remove ads