D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'. “Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little...

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

Hussar

Legend
Obviously there's a bit of a gradient in play here, and I get that there's an argument here for a rising tide raises all ships.

With that in mind, the difficulty of getting 'more' with no peg to quality is that you can just get 'more' garbage. The first Bay Transformers movie was so successful that we got 2 (3?, 4?) more Bay Transformer movies before we got Bumblebee.

If the D&D movie is successful in that way, I'd consider it a monkey's paw kind of "success".
Sturgeon's Law always applies. Most movies really are crap. Heck, even most Marvel movies aren't even that good even if they do make lots of money. And, I kinda liked the Transformers movies. They were fun, they killed a couple of hours and lots of stuff blew up. Sounds like a Transformers movie to me.

And what's this about Superman. We've had a Superman movie not that long ago, and Superman V Batman was a pretty good movie if you watched the longer version (I never saw the edited one).

I really don't get the hate people have for DC movies.

Never minding, isn't there a CW Superman show right now? Granted Smallville never had a tights wearing Superman, but, there was Lois and Clark before that. Good grief, there's been a live action Superman show on TV pretty much every year for the last 50 years.

Sturgeon's Law always applies. Most movies really are crap. Heck, even most Marvel movies aren't even that good even if they do make lots of money. And, I kinda liked the Transformers movies. They were fun, they killed a couple of hours and lots of stuff blew up. Sounds like a Transformers movie to me.

And what's this about Superman. We've had a Superman movie not that long ago, and Superman V Batman was a pretty good movie if you watched the longer version (I never saw the edited one).

Never minding, isn't there a CW Superman show right now? Granted Smallville never had a tights wearing Superman, but, there was Lois and Clark before that. Good grief, there's been a live action Superman show on TV pretty much every year for the last 50 years.
My standards aren't particularly high or anything, especially for action movies. I'm not looking for high art, just basic plot coherence and comprehensible action on screen. Sprinkle in some impressive explosions and you're good. Transformers movies reliably achieved 1 of 3 of those. Past the halfway through the second movie, I spent the bulk of my time asking myself two questions.

1. What is happening? (On screen and in the "story"), and
2. Is this still the same movie?

I watched them because there were some impressive explosions applied liberally, but oi they were a slog.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
People hate them for the same reason they love the CW stuff: the film makers didn't understand the characters 9n q fundamental level, while the CW showrunners do understand them. Snyders' Superman isn't Superman, but the CW Supergirl version embodies the character perfectly.

It's like making a Spiderman where everything goes right for Peter Parker and he never struggles...it wouldn't be Spiderman.

teitan

Legend
I wonder if the insane negativity in this thread is a kind of proactive defense for if the movie isn't to everyone's liking.

I guess it's a lot easier to say, "See? I told you it would be bad!" than "Oh well, I was hoping it would be good."

Everything I've heard about the movie so far at least sounds like fun. If it's a bomb, it's a bomb, but I'm surprised by how many folks actively seem to be looking for evidence that it will be a bad movie.
I am surprised you are because these days I expect it. Everyone wants everything to fail and no one hates something worse and wants to see it fail harder than its own fans. That's just the sad truth about the world today.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Maybe we just need to put it into context; Chris Pine, as a man with druid-like tendencies, likes things in balance. Since he has this awesomeness on the way, he felt the need to balance his filmography in the other direction:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I won't lie, the line "I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot," does not instill confidence.

It's part of actors jobs to help market a movie before release (it's in their best interest too for movies their in to perform well). So for Chris to even hint it might not be good... actors don't tend to do that unless they actually have doubts. And yes, experienced actors can tell the difference between a good and a bad script, so have some idea of how things may shape up even before editing/post-production.

That said, it's one line from one actor before I've seen a hint of footage, so I'm not going to make a hard judgment on anything. Film is still I think a full year away?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I won't lie, the line "I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot," does not instill confidence.

It's part of actors jobs to help market a movie before release (it's in their best interest too for movies their in to perform well). So for Chris to even hint it might not be good... actors don't tend to do that unless they actually have doubts. And yes, experienced actors can tell the difference between a good and a bad script, so have some idea of how things may shape up even before editing/post-production.

That said, it's one line from one actor before I've seen a hint of footage, so I'm not going to make a hard judgment on anything. Film is still I think a full year away?
Yup, 2023.

I think the main thing is thst he prepped this interview for a different movie, so he was in a different headache. Wellsee how it turns out, but I dont think this says much.

Remove ads

Remove ads