D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie should follow the Deadpool model

Dragonblade

Adventurer
So, Deadpool provided the perfect template for a D&D movie.

There should be a deadly serious underlying plot, ideally involving a PC party oriented heist with dungeon crawling elements, but the film should be an over the top action comedy, with hyper-violence played both straight in terms of cool action scenes that make sense within the context of the world, but mixed with absurd comedic moments that unapologetically break the 4th wall.

Although the world itself should be played straight, the player characters and some of the villains should totally break the 4th wall with all sorts of in-jokes, characters arguing with an off camera (and unheard DM), scene rewinds to simulate cocked dice, or long drawn out planning montages where the PCs describe everything they are about to do before they do it, and then revise the plan while arguing with each other. :)

And all the characters should recite pop-culture movie references, speak frequently to off-camera players and a DM, while the NPC's are totally oblivious and played straight. Never show the off-camera players, but have the characters occasionally speak in the third person as if being played by someone else off camera.

Do fun things like have a PC die, but then the exact same actor comes in playing a different character that randomly joins the party but is now a different class or something but otherwise looks and acts the same. Joke about their contrived backstory, joke about the character having player knowledge they couldn't realistically have, etc.

Basically it should be like a real session of D&D. :)

But so over the top with cool action and fun humour that even non-gamers not versed in D&D tropes will have a great time and enjoy it for how ridiculous it is.

Yes, exactly like in the last Deadpool when the rookie take in action!
First trap one character has a leg severed.
First monster, one character get his head smash out.
One veteran that try to keep everyone alive. It could make a good movie!

So, Deadpool provided the perfect template for a D&D movie.

There should be a deadly serious underlying plot, ideally involving a PC party oriented heist with dungeon crawling elements, but the film should be an over the top action comedy, with hyper-violence played both straight in terms of cool action scenes that make sense within the context of the world, but mixed with absurd comedic moments that unapologetically break the 4th wall.

Although the world itself should be played straight, the player characters and some of the villains should totally break the 4th wall with all sorts of in-jokes, characters arguing with an off camera (and unheard DM), scene rewinds to simulate cocked dice, or long drawn out planning montages where the PCs describe everything they are about to do before they do it, and then revise the plan while arguing with each other. :)

And all the characters should recite pop-culture movie references, speak frequently to off-camera players and a DM, while the NPC's are totally oblivious and played straight. Never show the off-camera players, but have the characters occasionally speak in the third person as if being played by someone else off camera.

Do fun things like have a PC die, but then the exact same actor comes in playing a different character that randomly joins the party but is now a different class or something but otherwise looks and acts the same. Joke about their contrived backstory, joke about the character having player knowledge they couldn't realistically have, etc.

Basically it should be like a real session of D&D. :)

But so over the top with cool action and fun humour that even non-gamers not versed in D&D tropes will have a great time and enjoy it for how ridiculous it is.
I wouldn't hate it. I mean I might if they executed it poorly, but conceptually this is fine and certainly very D&D.

Jaeger

That someone better
I'm hoping for something a bit different as we already have Your Highness...

What I do know is that the D&D movie should not try and be a "fantasy Epic" in the way that the LoTR and GoT were.

It'll look like a retread...

It needs to give audiences a different look. Just not eberron ;)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
There'll be no spell to hold your person
Not if my love can't bind your heart
There's no need to call it done
For it was I who chose to start
I see no need for word of recall
I'm old enough for feather fall...
Just call me aasimon of the morning, aasimon
Just enchant my sword to +3, baby
Then slowly turn away from me

Maybe the sun's light will be dim
And it won't matter anyhow
If morning's echo says we've sinned
Well, it was what I wanted now
And if we're victims of night hags
You won't be holding the bags
Just enchant my staff to +3, baby
Then slowly turn away

I won't beg you to stay with me
Through the tears
Of the day
Of the years
Baby
Just enchant my shield to +3, baby
Just enchant my plate to +3, darling
Just give me a ring of wizardry, darling

(with apologies to Juice Newton)

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't see them doing Deadpool. Be hilarious if they did.

Basically expecting generic, safe PG at the most type movie. May or may not be great. 60/40 on meh or good probably won't be great.

Subvert my expectations!!!

Remove ads