D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie should follow the Deadpool model

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
They kinda tried that with the first D&D movie and did a crap job of it. Using the Deadpool model they could do it a bit better, but not only was this done in The Gamers, it would really only appeal to those who've already played. The goal of the movie (besides being a financial success) is also supposed to draw more people to the game.
It depends on the frequency of the cutaways and in-jokes. Deadpool is a pretty solid template, as are the two recent Jumanji movies. The Gamers was both low budget and was completely dependent on knowledge of the tropes to enjoy.

I just wouldn't do it as "inhabited avatars" like Jumanji, I don't think it needs a real world frame of reference. Let it inhabit its own world, but play up gaming tropes and break the 4th wall occasionally.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't see a Deadpool like D&D movie really having the right combination of factors to be successful.

A Guardians of the Galaxy type D&D movie...maybe...but Deadpool like..I'm not seeing it...or at least seeing it be successful with a deadpool type formula.

hopeless

Adventurer
A Guardians of the Galaxy version of the d&d movie sounds great!
The problem with the Deadpool variant is that ultimately if done properly its the evil party campaign whilst the Guardians one is the version that trying to do better than not really focused on the group's origin and development.
So a group of adventurer's with a mutual interest whether it be escape from prison, pursuing their goal and how it relates to the others along with their flaws.

Getting drunk only to discover the group's barbarian has called out the bbeg and he sends in his sortie to sort them out resulting in the settlement they're at being attacked as a result?

No thanks. The first Dungeons and Dragons movie took the comedy route and I was disappointed. I appreciated the movie being made at all and comedy is true to the experience, to my chagrin, but I wanted a more serious take.

I want a short version of Lord of the Rings with classic elements like beholders, blink dogs, and black puddings.

Stormonu

Legend
I laughed my head off at Deadpool and Guardians.

But for D&D, no. I’d like a serious movie. Preferably one with the zero to hero aspect(with the experienced “mentor” who sacrifices themself about mid-movie), but not ending with saving the world - saving the local village would be good enough for the first, up the stakes in the sequels (save the World for 3rd).

Remove ads