D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie - Wild Speculation and Poll

What do you expect/hope to see in the Setting, Tone and Framing of the upcoming D&D Movie? (Pick 3)

• Setting - Forgotten Realms

Votes: 50 53.8%
  • Setting - Eberron

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Setting - Dragonlance

• Setting - Homebrew/Unique

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Setting - Other (Specify)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Tone - Grimdark

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Tone - Serious Fantasy (LotR)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Tone - Lighthearted Fantasy

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Tone - Action Comedy

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Tone - Other (Specify)

• Framing - In Universe Storyteller

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Framing - Gaming Table

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Framing - Sucked into the game

• Framing - No Frame

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Framing - Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

ccooke

Adventurer
Hmm. So, okay, they might be using the Eye of Vecna.
There's a new dilemma: Do they fail to make a joke about the head of Vecna - a missed opportunity, if any existed. Or do they make a joke about it that falls flat.
Truly, all to play for!

(Okay, I admit there's a third possibility that I'd love to see. I just don't feel confident that it's likely.)

OB1

Jedi Master
I hope this is right. A D&D movie that is just lore and action with no discernable gameplay might be entertaining but it won't be all that it could be. If done well, it will be the biggest one shot actual play promotional piece WotC could ever dream of.
That's a great way to describe it. Hell, they could literally be playing whatever AP is released to complement the film. Only instead of watching minis on a table and listening to the players describe the action, you get to see it fully realized. Lean into making that connection between the game on paper and the game in the imaginations of the players (and still tell a really cool story about brave adventurers facing deadly perils).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am not at all sure they're still working off that particular script anymore. At one point an insider claimed the script was going to change by about 40%. Last I read was this synopsis (which is the same as that one):

At the head of the campaign we will find Raven Hightower, a noble warrior who wields a flaming sword, and Hack Karroway, the unfortunate human transformed into a dragonborn by a wizard.

Following them, the unreliable gnome Otivan Trickfoot and the leader of the Masked Warriors Alyssa Steelsong, along with the young charmer Malanthius and the dark elf Razor Horlbar, whose orders are obeyed by the tiefling Damina and the mighty The Beast, whose identity is hidden from a wooden mask.

To close the party we find Bickety, a human swordsman with a disfigured face, and the adventurers Zanril and Skeever, respectively a warlock and a half-ogre.

The synopsis reads: " A fantasy adventure film about a warrior and his team of creatures of all kinds who will embark on a perilous journey in search of a legendary treasure "

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That's a great way to describe it. Hell, they could literally be playing whatever AP is released to complement the film. Only instead of watching minis on a table and listening to the players describe the action, you get to see it fully realized. Lean into making that connection between the game on paper and the game in the imaginations of the players (and still tell a really cool story about brave adventurers facing deadly perils).
Had an idea of the actors sitting around a table playing with minis and some kind of structure and the camera zooms around them and then flies down to the minis perhaps going through a tunnel and when we come out the other side we’re in the game world and we’re thrown right into the story. Perhaps the GM continues to narrate for a bit before handing off to the script to provide continuity?

To extrapolate imagine a single take of some one showing up at a house opening the door letting the camera in and there’s general chitchat and ribbing (while the intro credits roll) and the shot finishes by flying into the game world. Sort of like the awesome intro to School of Rock.

Stormonu

Legend
What I’d want is a 3-movie spectacular of the Dragonlance War of the Lance, with readings of the Canticle of the Dragon to open the movies.

What I’m expecting is a forgettable camp of a movie with AAA effects that makes the 1st D&D movie look like high drama.

In short, I’d like a good movie, but I have no faith I’ll actually get one.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I'm thinking a Lighthearted Fantasy where the players are sucked into the game in an evil DM kind of way set in the Forgotten Realms/or homebrew. My gut just thinks this would be the best compromise between the general audience that the movie needs to try and reach and us fans.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not sure how to vote on framing, but I hope it won't be something where you switch from the "players" to the "characters" and back. Yes that worked for Princess Bride, but that's a true one-off.

As for style - if they can come up with a Guardians-of-the-Galaxy type of vibe (or better yet, as some have suggested, a Deadpool vibe!) and make it work that ought to be just fine.

Setting: if they're smart they'll go homebrew, and release the playable setting side-along with the movie.

OB1

Jedi Master
Not sure how to vote on framing, but I hope it won't be something where you switch from the "players" to the "characters" and back. Yes that worked for Princess Bride, but that's a true one-off.

As for style - if they can come up with a Guardians-of-the-Galaxy type of vibe (or better yet, as some have suggested, a Deadpool vibe!) and make it work that ought to be just fine.

Setting: if they're smart they'll go homebrew, and release the playable setting side-along with the movie.
I'd say The Lego Movie also did a pretty good job of switching between "players" and "characters" (even though it held that reveal until the 3rd act). What do you think about a set up where the actors are playing themselves as the players? Seeing a bunch of famous actors having a great time at the table playing the game, and then seeing the visualization of their imagination on screen seems like a great way to get the feel of what it is to play D&D across to a wide audience. Could also imagine seeing subtle differences in how the characters and world look depending on whose 'POV' you were currently in. Personally, I'm okay with any of the framing except "Players sucked into the game".

Sounds like you are down for Action/Comedy for the style!

Would love to see a homebrew playable setting along with the movie, or at the very least a playable AP (which could be the ones the Players are playing).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases