D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie - Wild Speculation and Poll

What do you expect/hope to see in the Setting, Tone and Framing of the upcoming D&D Movie? (Pick 3)

• Setting - Forgotten Realms

Votes: 50 53.8%
  • Setting - Eberron

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Setting - Dragonlance

• Setting - Homebrew/Unique

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Setting - Other (Specify)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Tone - Grimdark

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Tone - Serious Fantasy (LotR)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Tone - Lighthearted Fantasy

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Tone - Action Comedy

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Tone - Other (Specify)

• Framing - In Universe Storyteller

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Framing - Gaming Table

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Framing - Sucked into the game

• Framing - No Frame

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Framing - Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

OB1

Jedi Master
Well, if they do go with any type of real world story frame (sucked in or gaming table), I hope that they stay away from any over-arching plot in the frame narrative. Just show me players having a good time, let the drama be in the game itself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, if they do go with any type of real world story frame (sucked in or gaming table), I hope that they stay away from any over-arching plot in the frame narrative. Just show me players having a good time, let the drama be in the game itself.
I'm pretty sure they've said they will not do frame stories for any D&D film property, but keep it straight and set in the 5E Metasetting. That may be from the Warner Bros. period of film development, but I would expect no meta-frame at all.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm pretty sure they've said they will not do frame stories for any D&D film property, but keep it straight and set in the 5E Metasetting. That may be from the Warner Bros. period of film development, but I would expect no meta-frame at all.
I can only hope that you are correct. The thought of it using a real world frame makes my eyes roll out of my head. That's great for comedies like The Gamers, but I don't want it for anything else.

After such a dismal year I am ready for some escapism. I'm not looking for grimdark or too heavy. Though it would be good to have one or two serious moments to provide some substance.

I expect and hope there will be many Easter eggs for those of us who play D&D.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd say The Lego Movie also did a pretty good job of switching between "players" and "characters" (even though it held that reveal until the 3rd act).
I'll have to take your word for this - the very idea of a Lego movie makes me want to run away as fast as my little feet can carry me.
What do you think about a set up where the actors are playing themselves as the players? Seeing a bunch of famous actors having a great time at the table playing the game, and then seeing the visualization of their imagination on screen seems like a great way to get the feel of what it is to play D&D across to a wide audience. Could also imagine seeing subtle differences in how the characters and world look depending on whose 'POV' you were currently in. Personally, I'm okay with any of the framing except "Players sucked into the game".
Jumanji has the market cornered on this trope, and does it well.

I'd rather just see the characters, not the players.

Oh, and Hugh Grant had better be at his tip-top best, as movies like this really rely on the villain.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You’re probably right, but I really hope they don’t take themselves too seriously. And i do hope they have a starter set tie-in with the movie (assuming it doesn’t suck.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm hoping it will be an Action/Comedy with a frame set around a Game Table where we get to see the game through their imagination of it with some occasional cross table chatter bleeding through. I do expect it to be in Forgotten Realms but I'm hoping for a homebrew setting ;)
My thoughts exactly, though I said “lighthearted fantasy” rather than “action comedy.” But the line between those two is pretty fuzzy. What I’d love to see is something in the same vein as The Princess Bride, but cutting back to the players at the game table instead of the grandpa reading the story to his grandson.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases