D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie - Wild Speculation and Poll

What do you expect/hope to see in the Setting, Tone and Framing of the upcoming D&D Movie? (Pick 3)

• Setting - Forgotten Realms

Votes: 50 53.8%
  • Setting - Eberron

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Setting - Dragonlance

• Setting - Homebrew/Unique

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Setting - Other (Specify)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Tone - Grimdark

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Tone - Serious Fantasy (LotR)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Tone - Lighthearted Fantasy

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Tone - Action Comedy

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Tone - Other (Specify)

• Framing - In Universe Storyteller

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Framing - Gaming Table

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Framing - Sucked into the game

• Framing - No Frame

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Framing - Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

Edit: This article also says that the main villain will be Drow, which, even if Hugh Grant wasn't playing the villain, I think is simply impossible to imagine today and makes me question even more the "sources" of this article.

The new Dark Alliance video game as Drizz't in it as one of the playable characters. So if the movie has an evil Drow, then it may also have good Drow to balance it. Imagine if Chris Pine plays a good Drow and Hugh Grant plays his evil father? ;)

Edit: and yeah, I just made three posts in a row. The horror of triple posting! lol

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The new Dark Alliance video game as Drizz't in it as one of the playable characters. So if the movie has an evil Drow, then it may also have good Drow to balance it. Imagine if Chris Pine plays a good Drow and Hugh Grant plays his evil father? ;)

Edit: and yeah, I just made three posts in a row. The horror of triple posting! lol
so they are going to just go ahead and blackface Pine and Grant?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
More grayish-purple. Drow are not black or dark brown.

Or would you rather them take a black actor, make him/her an evil Drow, and further reinforce the negative stereotypes and racist ideas?
You're right it will go over way better with Pine and Grant.

The stakes and tension in The Princess Bride don’t come from the framing device.
The Princess Bride doesn't have stakes. No one is sitting on the edge of their seats worried about the characters. It's a comedy - people enjoy it because it makes them laugh, not for the adrenaline rush.

They could certainly do a D&D movie that aims to be funny rather than exciting, but I think that would be putting the cart before the horse. You should do it (ant least somewhat) straight before sending it up.

hopeless

Adventurer
Baldur's Gate with Pine as the son whose father is apparently killed through the machinations of the villain (Grant) leading to him having to step up ending up as part of a group of adventurers' who help thwart an attempt to seize power in Baldur's Gate.
Although Pine's character knows who was responsible for his father's death nothing can be done about that faced with either returning to the status quo as a mere guard having to face a day to day life knowing his father's murderer got away with it he elects to continue as an adventurer fully intending to one day bring his father's murderer to justice which he can't do within the city.
That kind of movie?

Emerikol

Adventurer
I would love a Greyhawk movie!

For those of you wanting a light hearted story, haven't we had a bunch of those and they all flopped. Give me a serious adventure where the characters are taking things seriously.

For those of you wanting a light hearted story, haven't we had a bunch of those and they all flopped. Give me a serious adventure where the characters are taking things seriously.
It's not a case of "wanting". The film makers have said they where aiming for a "Guardians of the Galaxy tone". So, no matter how much we might want a serious adventure, we know that aint going to happen.

Emerikol

Adventurer
It's not a case of "wanting". The film makers have said they where aiming for a "Guardians of the Galaxy tone". So, no matter how much we might want a serious adventure, we know that ain't going to happen.
aaaaah. That lowers my interest level a lot. Maybe they will surprise me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases