D&D 5E D&D Next Ability Scores

Ability scores in D&D Next (see definitions below)

• Fixed

Votes: 39 30.0%
  • Upgrade, capped

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Upgrade, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Scaled, capped

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Scaled, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Dynamic, capped

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Dynamic, uncapped

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I do not wish to participate

Votes: 2 1.5%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
How would you like to see the ability scores handled in D&D Next?

Fixed: you roll them up, add any racial modifiers that might apply, and they never permanently improve after that. Maybe you can enhance them later with magic items or spells, maybe not, but the score itself does not change unless the DM scripts it.

Upgrade, capped: ability scores do not automatically improve with level, but it is possible to permanently improve them through other (player-controlled) means, perhaps by selecting certain feats for your character. Even so, ability scores can only be increased to a certain maximum value (20, 25, etc.)

Upgrade, uncapped: as above, but there is no limit to how high a single ability score can be improved.

Scaled, capped: ability scores get better as the character advances in level, but can only advance to a certain maximum score (20, 25, etc.)

Scaled, uncapped: ability scores get slightly better as you advance in level, and there is no limit to how high an ability score can increase.

Dynamic, capped: A combination of Upgrade and Scaled, ability scores automatically improve with level, and can also be permanently improved through other means (possibly by selecting certain feats). Even so, there is a limit to how high they can be advanced (20, 25, etc.)

Dynamic, uncapped: As above, but there is no set limit to how high an ability score can be increased.

Last edited:

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
I chose Fixed because I think it should be up to the DM how much more powerful your ability scores get and the math should focus on that by default.

If the DM is fine with increasing them regularly, he can throw in magical items or Tomes of Strength or whatever that increases your score by however many points.

If the DM wants to keep ability scores relatively stable so that the game is grim-dark or whatever, they can just leave out those types of items.

Another problem with increasing scores by level is that monsters scores will increase too... So, it's a wash and just another pointless scaling that has no real impact on the game. Leave the "Giant's Strength" to a magical item that grants it - and then it actually has meaning when you're as strong as a giant.

Old_Skool

Explorer
I voted "Fixed" because it seems like the most reliable way to fix the two biggest issues I have with the newer editions of the game: (1) the player expectation of high ability scores, and (2) unbalanced math at higher levels.

Roll and be done with it.

I chose 'scaled capped'. I like to see some improvement of my char reflected in the ability scores. But I don't like being railroaded to certain feats, that would be as awful as the current weapon focus feats, IMO.

I could have chosen 'uncapped' as well because in most cases there is a hard cap due to the way you are given the ability points (e.g. 4E) even if nowhere is stated you can't have a score higher than X.

P1NBACK said:
Another problem with increasing scores by level is that monsters scores will increase too... So, it's a wash and just another pointless scaling that has no real impact on the game.

I agree that this is another kind of arms race but then again pretty much every other aspect of the game is one as well. And it is not like this feature would make the game anymore complicated to play.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I chose upgrade, uncapped, but honestly this is not a big issue for me, so I'd be happy with most of the options you list.

The thing that I DON'T want is magic items that boost your ability scores.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted "Fixed" because it seems like the most reliable way to fix the two biggest issues I have with the newer editions of the game: (1) the player expectation of high ability scores, and (2) unbalanced math at higher levels.

Roll and be done with it.
This is a bit heavy-handed, though. I don't want ability scores just increasing by themselves, but I also wouldn't mind having a few upgrade options. A feat that boosts a character's Dex wouldn't be too bad, in my opinion, because it would allow for a certain level of customization, but at the expense of other options.

I don't mind if a player absolutely MUST have a character with 22 Strength, as long as he is prepared to give something up for it.

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I voted for fixed. If it exists at all, attribute improvement should be a major story element for characters that wish the pursue it. The d20 framework just doesn't have a good mechanism for that, so I'd leave that as a bit of DM advice.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Upgrade Uncapped

I believe that your ability scores should be able to increase or decrease but it shouldn't be automatic nor should it be hindered. But there should be threshold cost that a character must pay behold getting to certain scores... each with a hard diminishing return or limit. There isn't a hard cap but a soft cap that is nearly impossible or extremely expensive to overcome.

For example a character could get a +1 to a score from extensive training, but doing so bumps you up an age category (young to middle aged to old to venerable to dead dead forever dead you dead sucker!) AND you could only do it once per 5 levels.

EDIT: Another thing that included my choice is one (well two) of my beliefs.

"A high Strength human fighter should eventually be as strong as an ogre."

"An ogre is stronger than a normal human will be."

Basically a normal 1st level human anything with 18 strength (before racials) could never match an ogre's strength without a magical item or boon. But via training, experience, and/or magical items, that same human could one day match the gore's strength. That is why the low strength of the ogre and minotaur in the playtest annoys be so much.

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I voted for Dynamic, Capped. I'm all for options, so give the GM as many options as possible, but without allowing things to go too far. After all, the GM can always not use any options s/he doesn't like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases