D&D 5E D&D Next Ability Scores

Ability scores in D&D Next (see definitions below)

• Fixed

Votes: 39 30.0%
  • Upgrade, capped

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Upgrade, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Scaled, capped

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Scaled, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Dynamic, capped

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Dynamic, uncapped

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I do not wish to participate

Votes: 2 1.5%

Li Shenron

Legend
I have to go with "fixed".

I'm all for options too, but the default should be no options, i.e. give options in the hands of the DM so that the game doesn't assume them.

drothgery

First Post
I have to go with "fixed".

I'm all for options too, but the default should be no options, i.e. give options in the hands of the DM so that the game doesn't assume them.
And exactly how are you supposed to do that without breaking the math? Only scaled and fixed are mathematically sound.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I like the concept of players being able to increase their ability scores. Perhaps 5 times between levels 1 and 20 is a bit much (I might go for say, 3 benchmarks,) but I have no problem with the rigors of adventuring allowing the PCs to have gotten stronger or smarter than the average townie.

And beyond that the only way to improve one's ability scores is magic, which can do anything. ;)

Mercule

Adventurer
I said "Upgrade, capped".

I almost said "Fixed", people can work out, study, etc. and improve themselves in a fundamental way, in real life. It's had to accept absolutely static score because of that.

I really hate the stat bloat that's happened in 3e and later, though. Stat changes should be a rare thing, though. Not every character should have them and never by more than a point or two (cap at +2, total, over the life of the character). You also shouldn't be able to exceed racial limits -- that's why they're called limits. People who start maxed out have already done the perfect workout routine (or whatever) that allowed the other guy to increase his.

Spells to raise stats should not be particularly common or standard issue, but they do make sense. Maybe move them up to 4th level spells giving a +2 and requiring higher slots for higher stats (hmm... meteor swarm or +4 str?).

Wishes and other extreme events are an exception, but they should be just that -- extreme.

Elf Witch

First Post
I don't want fixed or capped.

Part of the fun is getting to improve your character. If I want to play a human with an Einstein IQ why shouldn't I be able to play that.

I don't mind caps on physical stats based on race maybe an elf can not be stronger than say an 18 but I don't want to see caps on intelligence, charisma or wisdom of course doing that gives an edge to the classes that have those as primary attributes.

I also like rolling over point buy which IMO gives bland cookie cutter characters and limits ever having really fantastic characters or characters with lower scores.

One of my favorite character has a 5 in wisdom and he was a blast to play he was always running into combat and just did not have much common sense.

One of the great joys of character creation for me is picking up that dice and rolling and then using the dice rolls to help me decide what I want to play. I also use the stats to help me design a background. The 5 wisdom guy had a 17 intelligence. So I decided that he grew up very sheltered and ad no clue just how dangerous the world was.

When I am forced to do point buy I find a lot of the enjoyment just taken away.

drothgery

First Post
Maybe like the +X item deal, if the DM so chooses, you might be able to bump a stat (or more, etc).
And neither of those is very balanced. If +X items exist at any level commonality even remotely similar to prior editions of D&D, they have to be built into the math or it will break. Stat increases that may or may not happen are in the same category.

am181d

Adventurer
I'm for raising ALL ability scores periodically in lieu of attack bonuses, saves, etc.

The taciturn fighter should be more charismatic at 20th level then he was 1st.

Remove ads