D&D 5E D&D Next Blog - Wizards Like to Roll Dice Too

Mercule

Adventurer
Either way works for me. One thing I'd like to see, though, is that many spells have an assumed effect and the die roll is just there to see if the target got lucky.

Take fireball, for example. Most players assume fireball does 10d6 damage, at 10th level. In practice, it doesn't. It does 5d6 damage to about half the targets, depending on circumstances. You can do some math to get an average of 7d6, or so. I like that the PCs get a chance to dodge the evil warlock's strike, but it shouldn't be as reliable as it is in 3e/4e. It's been a long time since I played 1/2e, but I recall the acrobat's "bite me" dodge as a pretty amazing and uncommon thing.

I don't want to take away the chance of avoiding damage (especially for save or die/suck effects) or even turn it into a long shot. I just don't want it to be the coin flip I've seen in my current 3e game. For that reason, I think I come down more on the side of having saves -- they're easier to stack in the wizard's favor.

Also, I find the wizard attacking a defense to be more aesthetically pleasing for single target attacks, but a bit of a misfit for area affect spells. Since things like charm, hold, and finger of death (SoD/S) are more likely to be targeted, maybe that's a good way to split it.

How does this sound? Keep the 4e defenses and use them against most targeted effects. Targeted effects would generally fall into one of two categories: 1) heavy-duty effects that tend to take an opponent out, but are expendable (Vancian); 2) level appropriate damaging effects that are not expendable (4E at-will/encounter and 3E reserve feats) and don't tick off the wizard player if they miss.

For area effect spells, like fireball, the spell and/or caster level sets a skill level, as per the musings in Legends and Lore (master, novice, et al.). Have skills analogous to classic saving throws. So, if the standard fireball creates a journeyman effect/hazard, the cleric who has neglected her reflex skill takes it in the face. The rogue has been maxing it and his mastery allows him to automatically halve the damage and roll to completely evade. Finally, the fighter has put a couple spare points into Reflex and, being a journeyman himself, has to roll a 15 or better to halve the damage.

If the skill system is appropriately balanced, it should be a real choice on whether to advance a save or another skill. I would also assume there will still be in-class and out-of-class skills.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Noooo. A wizard points, says the words and it happens. Then we go straight to damage.
I like playing wizard, I like rolling dice, but when I play wizard I like to dictate. :)

KidSnide

Adventurer
I think spellcasters should roll to hit for most spells -- particularly those spells where the spellcaster is trying to, well, physically hit the target with a magical effect.

Saving throws should be reserved as a mechanic where the target breaks free of the effect. Charms that wear off over time should allow saving throws at specified moments (e.g. every round if the target's allies are under attack by the charing character; every day if there is no immediate conflict). Similarly, death and petrification style magic could allow a saving throw to avoid the nasty side effect, but that should be limited to a small number of spells that are intrinsically a "big deal."

Set the DC with one roll and have the target make another? That's a terrible standard mechanic. What? Are we actively trying to slow down combat?

-KS

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Opposed rolls are less swingy.

If you mean (A+ d20) vs (B + d20).
This is incorrect. The standard deviation of 1d20 is 5.916 and the standard deviation of 2d20 (or 1d20 - 1d20) is 8.165. Opposed rolls have a higher standard deviation, so I would call them more swingy. They also eat up more time at the table.

This is incorrect. The standard deviation of 1d20 is 5.916 and the standard deviation of 2d20 (or 1d20 - 1d20) is 8.165. Opposed rolls have a higher standard deviation, so I would call them more swingy. They also eat up more time at the table.

Yes. I think what Anselyn was saying is that the middle results become more probable, which is of course true. But the spread is bigger overall.

I also don't think opposed rolls slow things down much if at all. Two people add their roll to their modifier and you see which one's bigger - what's so slow about it?

GM Dave

First Post
My view on Wizard spells is based on play value at the table.

1> A player that gets Fireball as a spell is 'stoked' to use it. They may only get one opportunity to shine that night and they intend Fireball to be that shining moment.

2> Okay, so now they roll the damage and it is say, 5d6 (first level in 3e and earlier for fireball). The damage could be 5 or it could be 30; either roll is like a critical fumble or hit. Let us look at what happens if we then impose an additional 'saving throw' on top of that damage roll.

2 i> If the player has rolled 5 for damage then if someone then makes or fails a saving throw it is no real difference. The saving throw really is just a 'kick in the teeth' as it take the miserable 5 damage and cuts it to 2. The roll of 5 damage is already a 'fumble' and the saving throw adds nothing to the play of the game but suck up time (especially when you have a large number of targets under the effect).

2 ii> If the player has rolled 30 for damage then a saving throw is like rolling to confirm a critical. You got a lucky roll of five 6s and now you are going to have it taken away because most saving throws or defenses are built for 'maximized' characters having a 50% chance of success. The lucky roll of dice turning up five 6s will now be reduced on a flip of a coin. This again becomes another 'kick in the teeth'.

3> If Fireball is going to be the big moment to shine for the wizard then let them shine. The rolling of the damage is enough of a hoop to leap through without having to leap a second hoop that only is going to take away from the main event which is the rolling of the damage dice.

3> If Fireball is going to be the big moment to shine for the wizard then let them shine. The rolling of the damage is enough of a hoop to leap through without having to leap a second hoop that only is going to take away from the main event which is the rolling of the damage dice.

What you say is both true and proper. However, I have one powerful misgiving:

Does the same apply when the NPC wizard casts Fireball at the PC's?

Except we're not actually dealing with the size of the difference.

If we were talking about damage, sure.

But we're not. We're only talking about the sign of the difference (ie is my roll minus your roll positive or not?)

In that case, the distribution is symmetrical and the variability doesn't matter.

That's even if you can really talk about the standard deviation of a 1d20. That's only supposed to be used when the distribution in question approximates a normal curve, which 1d20 defnitely doesn't, and 2d20, while better, doesn't really fit that curve either.

Mercule

Adventurer
What you say is both true and proper. However, I have one powerful misgiving:

Does the same apply when the NPC wizard casts Fireball at the PC's?
It does, for me. There are many time the big, bad necromancer/pyromancer/othermancer has gotten the drop on the PCs, wins initiative, and has time to cast one meaningful spell before the fighters close and attempt to have their way with him. IME, more often than not, the wizard botches his attack role or the PCs all make their saves. It's probably somewhat selective memory, but, over nearly 30 years of gaming, I can only think of one time the caster pulled off what he needed to. I can recall a half-dozen times where the caster spent round two trying to regain the advantage and round three bleeding out. Round one should bloody well count.

Remove ads