• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D next ... fate or doom ?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I just can't...

I see this thread every day and...

Fate and doom are synonyms, okay? They are two words that mean the same thing.
That may be how you define them, but you should check the dictionary for how many others define them. They are both absolutes, but doom generally means something's end, a horrible finality. Fate includes all events completely outside one's control.

I agree it's not the best thread title.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I just can't...

I see this thread every day and...

Fate and doom are synonyms, okay? They are two words that mean the same thing.

I've been re-reading Lord of the Rings recently, and I had the same thought when I read this thread title. Tolkien often uses "doom" in a way that confused me for a bit, until I realized that he basically meant "fate".

In modern American English, I pretty much always hear "doom" used with a negative connotation, whereas "fate" can be positive or negative. Apparently "doom" does not have to be a negative (based on Tolkien's use of the word, at least), but to most modern readers I think it does come across as meaning "a bad fate".

In the SJGame In Nomine, "Fate" is always bad - the worst thing you could possiby do with your life, while it's angelic counterpart is "Destiny" - the best thing you could do.

Oni

First Post
D&D next...weal or woe? would have been much more apropos.

Anyway, a little too much doom and gloom for me. This will all be a blip on the radar in a couple of months. How they do their playtesting and how how they respond to it will ultimately be all that matters, not any one particular person.

triqui

Adventurer
I've been re-reading Lord of the Rings recently, and I had the same thought when I read this thread title. Tolkien often uses "doom" in a way that confused me for a bit, until I realized that he basically meant "fate".

In modern American English, I pretty much always hear "doom" used with a negative connotation, whereas "fate" can be positive or negative. Apparently "doom" does not have to be a negative (based on Tolkien's use of the word, at least), but to most modern readers I think it does come across as meaning "a bad fate".

That's because it *has* a negative connotation.

doom - definition of doom by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"doom
n doom [duːm]
fate, especially something terrible and final which is about to happen (to one)
v
to condemn; to make certain to come to harm, fail etc"

"doom (dm)
n.
1. Inevitable destruction or ruin.
2. Fate, especially a tragic or ruinous one.
3. A decision or judgment, especially an official condemnation to a severe penalty.
4. Judgment Day.
5. A statute or ordinance, especially one in force in Anglo-Saxon England.
tr.v. doomed, doom·ing, dooms
1. To condemn to ruination or death. See Synonyms at condemn.
2. To destine to an unhappy end."

"doom [duːm]
n
1. death or a terrible fate
2. a judgment or decision
3. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) (sometimes capital) another term for the Last Judgment
vb
(tr) to destine or condemn to death or a terrible fate"

"Noun 1. doom - an unpleasant or disastrous destiny; "everyone was aware of the approaching doom but was helpless to avoid it"; "that's unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world"
day of reckoning, doomsday, end of the world
destiny, fate - an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future"

The connotation is there

OnlineDM

Adventurer
That's because it *has* a negative connotation.

doom - definition of doom by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"doom
n doom [duːm]
fate, especially something terrible and final which is about to happen (to one)
v
to condemn; to make certain to come to harm, fail etc"

"doom (dm)
n.
1. Inevitable destruction or ruin.
2. Fate, especially a tragic or ruinous one.
3. A decision or judgment, especially an official condemnation to a severe penalty.
4. Judgment Day.
5. A statute or ordinance, especially one in force in Anglo-Saxon England.
tr.v. doomed, doom·ing, dooms
1. To condemn to ruination or death. See Synonyms at condemn.
2. To destine to an unhappy end."

"doom [duːm]
n
1. death or a terrible fate
2. a judgment or decision
3. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) (sometimes capital) another term for the Last Judgment
vb
(tr) to destine or condemn to death or a terrible fate"

"Noun 1. doom - an unpleasant or disastrous destiny; "everyone was aware of the approaching doom but was helpless to avoid it"; "that's unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world"
day of reckoning, doomsday, end of the world
destiny, fate - an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future"

The connotation is there

Yes, in modern usage. But note that some of the definitions you quoted are more neutral.

To be clear, I personally use the word "doom" as an unequivocally bad thing. But I acknowledge that it is sometimes used more neutrally (not frequently, though, and I think not much at all these days).

triqui

Adventurer
It *can* be used as Fate. But it is not normal. Hence the "connotation".

The definition is "Fate. Especially a tragic or ruinous one". You can use it for other kinds of fate, but it is not normal. The normal use is for tragic or ruinous fate.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads