D&D Phonetic Alphabet

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Thought this up in Physics and thought I would share, goes along the lines of stuff like from World War Two: Able, Backer, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, George etc.

Aboleth, Beholder, Chimera, Dragon, Elemental, Fireball, Gargoyle, Hydra, Imp, Janni, Kobold, Lich, Minotaur, Neogi, Ogre, Pegasus, Quasit, Raksasha, Skeleton, Tarrasque, Unicorn, Vampire, Wight, Xill, Ythrak, Zombie

Hope that provided an interesting variation on everyday life

GM

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You know, I can actually see using that, although I'm not sure anyone knows how to pronounce "ythrak," or would try to do so in a battlefield situation. Likewise, "troll" is probably more common (and more clearly pronouncable) than "terrasque." I'd probably flip "neogi" for "nixie" as well.

For reference, the current NATO standard Phonetic Alphabet is: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-Ray, Yankee, Zulu

For a fantasy version, the words need to be easy to pronounce and hard to confuse with another word. Some things may well be the same, like Whiskey (a dwarven contribution ;) )

For reference, the current NATO standard Phonetic Alphabet is: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-Ray, Yankee, Zulu

Mike is apparently on vacation.

What we need is the un-pronouncable D&D phonetic alphabet, from Anhkeg to Drow to Flumph to Ixiti ... Ixithi ... devil-ray-thing.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
You know, I can actually see using that, although I'm not sure anyone knows how to pronounce "ythrak," or would try to do so in a battlefield situation.
How about "'Yanki"? As in Githyanki.

The only "Y" monster in the original monster manual is the yeti, and that doesn't sound D&D-esque to me.

Stormonu

Legend
Thought this up in Physics and thought I would share, goes along the lines of stuff like from World War Two: Able, Backer, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, George etc.

Aboleth, Beholder, Chimera, Dragon, Elemental, Fireball, Gargoyle, Hydra, Imp, Janni, Kobold, Lich, Minotaur, Neogi, Ogre, Pegasus, Quasit, Raksasha, Skeleton, Tarrasque, Unicorn, Vampire, Wight, Xill, Ythrak, Zombie

Hope that provided an interesting variation on everyday life

GM

The 1E version:

Anhkheg, Beholder, Chimera, Dragon, Efreet, Flumph, Gargoyle, Hydra, Imp, Jermlaine, Kobold, Lich, Minotaur, Nightmare, Orc, Pheonix, Quasit, Roper, Skeleton, Treant, Unicorn, Vampire, Wight, Xorn, Yeti, Zombie

The 2E version:

Aarakocra, Baatezu, Cloaker, Dracolich, Ettercap, Feyr, Giff, Hatori, Ixitxachitl, Jackalwere, Kenku, Leucrotta, Maedar, Neogi, Otyugh, Peryton, Quaggoth, Remorhaz, Sahuagin, Tanar'ri, UmberHulk, Vampire, Wemic, Xorn, Yugoloth, Zaratan

The 3E version:

Aboleth, Beholder, Chimera, Dragon, Elf, Fiendish, Giant, Harpy, Illithid, Kobold, Lich, Mummy, Nymph, Owlbear, Pseudodragon, Rakshasa, Slaad, Troll, Unicorn, Vampire, Wyvern, Xorn, Yuan-ti, Zombie

Let's see a BECMI and 4E version ;)

I prefer the other WW2 set

A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for thighlanders (don't ask)
D for mation
E for brick
F for vescence
G for screefers (Jeefers Screefers)

Remove ads