• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Risk?!?

Sixchan

First Post
I'd never even heard of Risk 2210 until just now. I take it that it's basicly Future Risk?

I've never been any good at Risk, personally. I dunno, I'm just crap. Pretty good at Fracas, though. It's kinda like Risk, 'cept I can win.:)

Tsyr

Explorer
I'd suggest either Dragonlance or Birthright... either are right for the "world war" feel of Risk. Dragonlance, you got your pick of wars to choose from... Birthright, hell... You could make it so that you could make any empire setup you wanted for a war.

Tewligan

First Post
Hmm, I didn't much care for Risk 2210. I thought it threw in too much extra stuff, pretty much suffocating the basic game under all the new rules and commanders and whatnot. I do, however, quite enjoy LotR Risk - apparently, there's an expansion due out later this year. I look forward to it immensely.

Oh, and just because this thread is alarmingly on-topic so far, I thought I'd latch onto someone's comment about best boardgame they've ever played, and throw in my own nomination. Let it be known throughout the internet that the first edition of Space Hulk is the best boardgame ever made. EVER.

Trine

First Post
I'd suggest either Dragonlance or Birthright... either are right for the "world war" feel of Risk. Dragonlance, you got your pick of wars to choose from... Birthright, hell... You could make it so that you could make any empire setup you wanted for a war.
Definitely. Dragonlance (while not a favorite setting of mine) or Birthright (Ahh, Birthright... mmm...) would both be a *great* setting for a Risk game. Well, they could horribly mess up like I've heard they did with the LotR Risk, with the bad map and such. Compared to something like FR or GH though, both Dragonlance and Birthright would be superb. They just have that feel of constant battling across the entire world.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I was always a fan of Wabbit Wampage and Wabbit's Wevenge.

But if I were voting for Best Board Game, I'd be voting for Diplomacy.

-Hyp.

KingDobbs

First Post
HellHound said:
On the other hand, I am VERY disappointed with the latest RISK release, the Lord of the Rings Risk. The map is difficult to use, the territories too small, the continents too poorly defined in game terms (most continents have more borders to other continents than they have internal borders, it seems!) and they didn't supply enough pieces to actually conquer Middle Earth without dipping into the pieces of another player (just happened in our last game which we played tonight).

We have retired the LotR Risk set to the shelf of games never to be played again... sadly.

That's kinda odd. My friends and I actually like it, and it's become kind of the default thing when we can only get 3 or 4 people together.

1) Actually, if it's spread out right, you do have enough pieces to conquer the map. My friend proved it before the Ring got to Moria.:eek:

2) You're not actually intended, by the primary rules of the game, to conquer all of Middle-Earth. The movement of the Fellowship is supposed to provide a time limit from which it is barely possible barring an excellent setup to conquer everything, forcing you to make only the moves you really can make.

3) We've actually tried out the army distribution (1-3-5 instead of 1-5-10) and card trading (fixed rather than increasing) in traditional Risk, and it worked out for a much faster and more dynamic (i.e. anything could happen) game. I even thought of adopting a Ring rule based upon Phineas' Fogg's travels in "Around the World in 80 Days".

Needless to say, my experience with LotRisk has been more positive for me than yours has. C'est la vie, I guess.

EarthsShadow

First Post
I wouldn't care which D&D setting they used, I will buy it just because they would actually create a Risk game based on one.

I will also put in a huge vote for RISK 2210. It is great compared to original risk, and you never had to deal with turning in cards to get a sudden army of 70 units. It's great, plus unless certain lands get nuked Australia is not invincible like it is in original risk. One time we had asia completely split in half, it was great.

Destil

Explorer
I think a Planescape: Bloodwars risk would be awesome, if done right...

Anything in a more standard fantasy world would be a bit too... bland for my me, I think. Risk Oerth or Risk Toril don't really apeal to me much, just because the're too similar to plain risk in concept.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
KingDobbs said:

1) Actually, if it's spread out right, you do have enough pieces to conquer the map. My friend proved it before the Ring got to Moria.:eek:

But that is ONLY if "spread out right". With 2 troops in most locations, it is not possible to manage two sizeable armies working over the rest of the board. We had to grab units from another player to represent Denise's units in her back lines as she finished her conquest of the map.

2) You're not actually intended, by the primary rules of the game, to conquer all of Middle-Earth. The movement of the Fellowship is supposed to provide a time limit from which it is barely possible barring an excellent setup to conquer everything, forcing you to make only the moves you really can make.

Barring an excellent setup, or extremely good luck with the territory cards and some well-played missions, and the dice working in your favor. 3 batallions with no support managed to take Isengard with 8 batallions and a leader. The dice hate me.

I much prefer the mechanics of Risk 2210 for the time limit, and the bidding for turn sequence and so on. I just wish the command cards were a LITTLE less potent than they are in 2210.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Destil said:
I think a Planescape: Bloodwars risk would be awesome, if done right...

Anything in a more standard fantasy world would be a bit too... bland for my me, I think. Risk Oerth or Risk Toril don't really apeal to me much, just because the're too similar to plain risk in concept.

YES.

Suddenly I am in favor of a RISK D&D setting. PlaneScape with most of the 2210 rules would ROCK. And with the cool planar settings, the map could look AWESOME, and also appeal to non-D&D players.

Remove ads