D&D General D&D Settings sorted by material released

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Heh-heh. I played 6 of the 31 Forgotten Realms games, but they all came in gold boxes. 7 if you count FRUA. ;)

I really enjoyed reading the fluff for some of the zanier settings. I always thought Spelljammer deserved a reboot.

The Glen

Legend
5 boxed sets for Birthright? Really? I only know of the original one - what came after that?
The Wikipedia page lists all the products released has five boxed sets. TSR in the mid-to-late 90s was boxed set crazy and released a lot of them. Even though the profit margin was pretty small that was something that led to their demise.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The Wikipedia page lists all the products released has five boxed sets. TSR in the mid-to-late 90s was boxed set crazy and released a lot of them. Even though the profit margin was pretty small that was something that led to their demise.

I thought a lot of that was Lorraine Williams and Spellfire, but I wasn't there. It really is too bad some of the most creative work they did, IMHO, led to their demise. I wouldn't have tried to put the Forgotten Realms into space, but some of the stuff they came up with is really out there. Snail-shaped ships? Phlogiston? (an actual name for an old scientific theory about fire--it had negative weight). Hundred-eyed beholder analogues?

The Glen

Legend
2nd edition did kill a lot of previous settings, some of them because of money, some of them out of spite. Greyhawk and Mystara were reduced to a trickle of products, turning profitable settings unprofitable. Spelljammer is remembered fondly but didn't sell well. According to TSR employees, everything associated with Gygax or his loyalists (Greyhawk and Mystara specifically) were dropped when Williams took over.

Stormonu

Legend
5 boxed sets for Birthright? Really? I only know of the original one - what came after that?

"Boxed set" is a bit generous; Al-Qadim, Dark Sun and Birthright all had sourcebooks/modules that were put into a slim box set format. You probably know of them, but they aren't "thick" enough to really register as boxed set. For Birthright it was:

• Cities of the Sun
  • Havens of the Great Bay
  • Tribes of the Heartless Waste
  • Rjurik Highlands

and the campaign set.

For Al-Qadim, you had the likes of:

Adventures
  • Golden Voyages
  • Assassin Mountain
  • A Dozen and One Adventures
  • Secrets of the Lamp

Region sets
  • Ruined Kingdoms
  • Corsairs of the Great Sea
  • Caravans
  • Cities of Bone

The real "boxed sets" for that setting were "Land of Fate" and "Cities of Delight".

Dark Sun had the folio adventure sets, which were sort of like boxed set adventures. It too had several boxed sets - "City by the Silt Sea" and "Ivory Triangle" was a full-sized one, and seem to recall there were other slim sets (all my stuff is in storage, so going by memory) such as "Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs", and "Mindlords of the Last Sea".

2E got super-happy with the boxed sets, because they appeared to sell better than softbound books. However, I seem to recall articles/discussions that they generally ended up costing most than they made back*. I also imagine they had a lot of returns as back in the day when I would go to the bookstore I'd find those sets had been opened and rifled through - and there's few people I know who'd buy an open box for fear something would be missing.

* Even worse were the "faux leather" cover books like Complete Shi'ar, the other Complete books and the Historical References, whose gold lettering and cover were exceedingly expensive for the time.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Then there was TSRs online-only released .pdfs of Dragon Fist, an AD&D variant setting, by Chris Pramas. Released right as 3e was under development. I know folks won't call it D&D. It basically is, IMO.

jgsugden

Legend
I am horribly shocked and dismayed that board games were not counted. The Dragonlance Board Game is a pivotal evolutionary step in the ... nah, just kidding.

Remove ads