D&D 5E D&D Summer Hardcover Amazon Placeholder

There's a D&D product placeholder for the summer hardcover up on Amazon. It doesn't say much, but confirms the release date as August 16th. There's some product dimensions there, too -- they match a standard D&D hardcover (except for the 2-inch thickness!) -- and an ISBN (978-0786968169). [Update -- the US version of the placeholder has a price of $69.99.] We'll find out more on Thursday...

There's a D&D product placeholder for the summer hardcover up on Amazon. It doesn't say much, but confirms the release date as August 16th. There's some product dimensions there, too -- they match a standard D&D hardcover (except for the 2-inch thickness!) -- and an ISBN (978-0786968169).

[Update -- the US version of the placeholder has a price of $69.99.]

We'll find out more on Thursday when the D&D Direct video is released. Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is on May 17th, and Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel comes out on June 21st.

From previous statements from WotC, we're expecting two classic settings to come back this year, and these will be in a new print format. WotC's Ray Winninger said in June last year that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats." Current speculation, based on hints and teasers, is mainly centered around Spelljammer and Dragonlance.

dnd_unknown.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Whilst more MtG settings in the pipeline are certainly possible, I'm pretty sure the Amazon placeholder isn't one, nor is it something that will be announced this week. It would be much further out.

WotC have been busy dropping hints left right and centre, and they all tie either to Spelljammer or the Stormwrack boxed set via the old D&D cartoon.

I'm wondering if we have taken the hints from Winninger's tweets a little too seriously. They've always caveated that items are subject to change, I wouldn't really be surprised if things teased a year or two ago have been moved back or delayed to make room for an MTG book closer to the card set release.

Getting two classic settings, technically a new setting (Radiant Citadel), and a MTG setting all in one year seems like a lot.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm wondering if we have taken the hints from Winninger's tweets a little too seriously. They've always caveated that items are subject to change, I wouldn't really be surprised if things teased a year or two ago have been moved back or delayed to make room for an MTG book closer to the card set release.

Getting two classic settings, technically a new setting (Radiant Citadel), and a MTG setting all in one year seems like a lot.
Winninger made it clear that the two 2022 Classic Settings were locks (apparently Perkins book was almost done at the time in late 2021, and the other was well along), but the others were more tentative and conceptual

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
I'm focused on what kind of product this might be...

Perhaps this is a Dragonlance box set, with a map, a gazetteer, and an adventure? Maybe it is a Planescape box set or a Spelljammer box set?

Then again, this could simply be a placeholder for the already announced "basic/essentials" product...

Radiant Citadel is no more a setting than Saltmarsh or Candlekeep. It's an adventure location/hub.

And I have seen nothing to suggest an MtG setting this year. Probably next.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Radiant Citadel is no more a setting than Saltmarsh or Candlekeep. It's an adventure location/hub.

And I have seen nothing to suggest an MtG setting this year. Probably next.
A year qgo, one might have said the same about Strixhaven (except for the Owlin bit).

I don't see any reason to think it will happen this year, but neither do I see any reason it won't. The big question is, what are the project leads other than Perkins and Schneider up to...?

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads