• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Technology

Jim Hague

First Post
Clueless said:
I find the note about the steam turbine and pistons that he had more interesting. He just never put the two inventions together, but if he had...

Then we might all be speaking Latin, hm? Legionaires with tanks and machineguns, anyone? :D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Jim Hague said:
Then we might all be speaking Latin, hm? Legionaires with tanks and machineguns, anyone? :D

Hero was Greek

Anyway does anyone remember the old TV show "The Tomorrow People" in one episode they went back in time and accidently left some modern tech behind. When they got 'home' to the present (well 1970's) they were on a Space Station as part of the Roman Galatic Empire

Clueless

Webmonkey
Operating in 10 to 70 AD, so as good as Roman given the expanse of the empire at the time. But nope, I missed that episode. I think I'll go see if I can hunt it down though. :)

Jim Hague

First Post
Tonguez said:
Hero was Greek

Anyway does anyone remember the old TV show "The Tomorrow People" in one episode they went back in time and accidently left some modern tech behind. When they got 'home' to the present (well 1970's) they were on a Space Station as part of the Roman Galatic Empire

Ayuh, but later civilizations took a lot of their cues from the Greeks (obviously) - just citing another common nifty trope of the alt-history genre. 'Course, that could be because I'm reading through Mary Gentle's Ash books right now...;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wikipedia said:
automatic temple doors - controlled by the temple priest lighting an altar outside of the temple, which heated water beneath it, which then moved counterweights which would open the doors. When the fire was extinguished, the water would cool and thus return the counterweights to their original position, which closed the temple doors.
Holy crap. /yoink

That's going into my temples of Teun in my campaign.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Meh. Automatic doors are great and all, but the Germans cooked up a bionic hand. Once you know about that, worrying about outlawing a great deal of technology because it's too advanced seems a bit of a crapshoot.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Andor said:
There are a lot of world changing technologies that shouldn't properly exist in the sort of high midieval world mosr campaigns like to portray, but that often sneak in because the just seem so basic to us. Which ones got your goat?

Almost none of them. We'er not dealing with a historical re-creation of 1300's Britain, we're dealing with totally different worlds. Just because something went one way on our Earth is no reason whatsoever that it could not have gone differently on another world. Different inventions, different attitudes, different access to resources and information ... all these lead to different levels of technology.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads