• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Unboxing Starter Set Video is on Youtube

Agamon

Adventurer
Aren't a bunch of short rests .... just a long rest?

Yeah, I'd ask the players when they decide to rest if they want to do a short rest or a long rest. That's the choice. Not how many hours they want to rest, considering the PCs don't have a concept of "short rests" in game and where one might arbitrarily end. I ends when you're ready to continue.

This spam the short rest thing makes little sense to me outside of rules lawyering. If a short rest isn't long enough for you, then it's time to hunker down for a long rest.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yeah, I'd ask the players when they decide to rest if they want to do a short rest or a long rest. That's the choice. Not how many hours they want to rest, considering the PCs don't have a concept of "short rests" in game and where one might arbitrarily end. I ends when you're ready to continue.

This spam the short rest thing makes little sense to me outside of rules lawyering. If a short rest isn't long enough for you, then it's time to hunker down for a long rest.
I like the 1 hr or more short rest, cant chain them, but alas, Mearls himself said you can spam second wind chain style. So the lead designer says you can. Not a good sign.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
DM: are you taking a short or long rest?

Players: short rest

DM: are you done resting?

Players: no we are going to do another short rest?

DM: no you are just continuing your short rest, do you want to just do a long rest?

Players: no, we want to chain short rests

DM: So you just want to rest longer ...

Players: Lead designer said we can!

DM: roll for random encounter.... the lead designer said I can!

that will end fast

Agamon

Adventurer
I like the 1 hr or more short rest, cant chain them, but alas, Mearls himself said you can spam second wind chain style. So the lead designer says you can. Not a good sign.

It almost looked like they were caught off guard by the question and just went with, "whatever floats your boat" as an answer. Which is a good answer, honestly. Run the game the way you want to run it.

But the designers were the ones that made the short rest at least an hour, instead of just an hour. The fact they didn't mention this at all is odd.

Agamon

Adventurer
DM: are you taking a short or long rest?

Players: short rest

DM: are you done resting?

Players: no we are going to do another short rest?

DM: no you are just continuing your short rest, do you want to just do a long rest?

Players: no, we want to chain short rests

DM: So you just want to rest longer ...

Players: Lead designer said we can!

DM: roll for random encounter.... the lead designer said I can!

that will end fast

Not to mention, what was off-handedly mentioned during a preview before the game is released really shouldn't be used as RAW.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Honestly, what's the issue? So what if you can chain short rests? So what if a fighter can heal back to full in 2-5 hours?

This is the equivalent to complaining that everyone is healed back to full after a long rest. And if you don't want to play that kind of game, a gritty oprion is in the DMG.

As long as all classes regain some abilities after a short rest, what's the problem? It's not unbalanced, and leaves plenty of room for narrative.

The designers noticed that chaining short rests simply does not hurt the game! Done.

thunktanker

First Post
It almost looked like they were caught off guard by the question and just went with, "whatever floats your boat" as an answer. Which is a good answer, honestly. Run the game the way you want to run it.

But the designers were the ones that made the short rest at least an hour, instead of just an hour. The fact they didn't mention this at all is odd.

It kind of felt like they were taken off guard by it to me too. I would take what they were saying here with a grain of salt. DM rulings on the rules cover this issue, which is basically what they ended up saying.

Johris

Villager

The PHB has been done and gone to the printers, he's neck deep in the next manual, so I don't find that odd that he can't remember all the specifics of a certain rule. He even mentioned about another rule that he couldn't remember and had to look up.

His answer of Play how you want was really a good one, that I think encompasses the spirit of D&D.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

It probably has to do with the fact that neither Mike nor Greg are designers.

Remove ads